+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maximum 4 Year Limitation on Work Permit

zazen

Jan 27, 2015
Not sure if any one has faced a similar situation before, i have not been able to find any discussions pertinent to my issue in the forums. Any help or advice is deeply appreciated.

I have been in Canada for the last 4 years on two work permits both of which needed LMIA approval. When i got my second LMIA i drove to buffalo border to get my TRV and work permit issued. The officer issued me a new visa that was eligible only for a year, stating that under new provisions i was only eligible to work in Canada for 4 years. I was totally unaware of the new rule, assuming he being the authority new better i did not question him. I did not realize my NOC falls under exception to the 4 year rule - i am NOC 0 and so i am eligible for another 2 year visa and limitation of 4 years does not apply to NOC 0 & A. I am wondering if i can go back to the border again and let them know that a mistake was made and have another two years of visa?

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
zazen said:
Not sure if any one has faced a similar situation before, i have not been able to find any discussions pertinent to my issue in the forums. Any help or advice is deeply appreciated.

I have been in Canada for the last 4 years on two work permits both of which needed LMIA approval. When i got my second LMIA i drove to buffalo border to get my TRV and work permit issued. The officer issued me a new visa that was eligible only for a year, stating that under new provisions i was only eligible to work in Canada for 4 years. I was totally unaware of the new rule, assuming he being the authority new better i did not question him. I did not realize my NOC falls under exception to the 4 year rule - i am NOC 0 and so i am eligible for another 2 year visa and limitation of 4 years does not apply to NOC 0 & A. I am wondering if i can go back to the border again and let them know that a mistake was made and have another two years of visa?
If you fall under NOC 0 & A, you are eligible to extend maximum limit of 4 years. Below is the link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible/four-year-maximum.asp

You might have to re-apply to extend when it is about to expire, you cannot go to CBSA office to update it.

zazen

Jan 27, 2015
thinkshady said:
If you fall under NOC 0 & A, you are eligible to extend maximum limit of 4 years. Below is the link.
Thanks for the link. NOC 0 & A do not have maximum limit. The exceptions are clearly spelled out

These categories or occupations are the exceptions for which a work permit can exceed the four-year limit:

NOC O and A (including spouses/dependants of these skilled temporary foreign workers)
LMIA-exempt jobs under
International agreements
Canadian interests
Self-support
Humanitarian reasons
Jobs that do not need a work permit
Permanent resident applicants who have received a positive selection decision or approval in principle
Provincial nominees applying for an employer-specific work permit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zazen said:
Thanks for the link. However what you said is not correct, NOC 0 & A do not have maximum limit. The exceptions are clearly spelled out
You and the previous poster are saying the same thing. The previous poster just said it differently.

zazen

Jan 27, 2015
scylla said:
You and the previous poster are saying the same thing. The previous poster just said it differently.
@Scylla thanks for pointing that out, you are absolutely right, i just updated my previous post.