+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mature Student Visa - 40 years of age

MonRup

Sep 12, 2020
Hi,

It would be a great help if you guys can guide me with your experience. I will try to give clearer picture of my life so that you can advise better.

I am 40 years old male, married and having two kids. I am Indian citizen however settled and living in middle east from last 13 years.

I am graduate, which was completed in 2003 and since then I am working in retail sector and consistently growing my career there and as of today working on a middle level managerial profile in a highly large organization.

I am having plans to do MBA or any other business related masters course from Canada and this is to develop my career further in retail or any other operations industry. Initially i am not planning to go there along with family in case visa acceptance is coming but will see in later stage.

Recently I appeared in GMAT exam and achieved 600 score. IELTS is not yet there but soon will be giving that as well.

GPA in graduation was lower than 3 as I was more involved in sports so missed that part.

Now I am having below queries before I move further -

1. Is it worth giving a shot and try as a student in Canada or chances are really less?
2. Which universities and province you can suggest in case I have to go ahead and apply? I understand that 600 GMAT score and my GPA not going to be enough for top universities but some recommendations of universities which are reputed and where i can have a chance to do MBA.
3. Which country you guys can recommend to apply from - my country of citizenship or the country where I am currently settled?
4. I know there cant be a concrete answer behind it but what funds you can suggest to have in my account at the time of applying visa?
5. Any other suggestion to reduce the risk of visa rejection.

I am thanking you all in advance for going through my thread.

drankykranky

Oct 19, 2021
I suggest you wait till you're in your home country if you're serious about moving to canada because if you're an old expat in the middle east that's an instant rejection. And don't make the mistake of applying with a weak profile because when you get rejected and apply from your home country they will just reject you for other reasons as it is clear to them you're trying to get into canada by any means. Don't give them reasons to reject you

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hi,

It would be a great help if you guys can guide me with your experience. I will try to give clearer picture of my life so that you can advise better.

I am 40 years old male, married and having two kids. I am Indian citizen however settled and living in middle east from last 13 years.

I am graduate, which was completed in 2003 and since then I am working in retail sector and consistently growing my career there and as of today working on a middle level managerial profile in a highly large organization.

I am having plans to do MBA or any other business related masters course from Canada and this is to develop my career further in retail or any other operations industry. Initially i am not planning to go there along with family in case visa acceptance is coming but will see in later stage.

Recently I appeared in GMAT exam and achieved 600 score. IELTS is not yet there but soon will be giving that as well.

GPA in graduation was lower than 3 as I was more involved in sports so missed that part.

1. Is it worth giving a shot and try as a student in Canada or chances are really less?
2. Which universities and province you can suggest in case I have to go ahead and apply? I understand that 600 GMAT score and my GPA not going to be enough for top universities but some recommendations of universities which are reputed and where i can have a chance to do MBA.
3. Which country you guys can recommend to apply from - my country of citizenship or the country where I am currently settled?
4. I know there cant be a concrete answer behind it but what funds you can suggest to have in my account at the time of applying visa?

I am 41 years of age, single parent, working and living in Singapore for 4+years. Recently got the study permit approved. See the timelines in my signature.

Let me try answering your queries.
1. Study permit pathway to Canada is worth every shot. You have to learn lessons from the other refusals and ensure you have addressed all such concerns.
2. I scored only 64% in my Post-grad MBA Diploma(2005). I agree top-ranking reputed Uni might not consider your lower score. So pick a mid/lower ranking Uni( DO NOT CHOOSE A COLLEGE). Try Unis in the maritime provinces.
3. I believe middle east apps get processed through Abu Dhabi, which has a high rejection rate. I suggest you apply only for your study permit, and state that your spouse and kids will move to India. This will strengthen your ties to the home country.
Alternatively, if it is possible, try moving back to India and then apply for your STUDY Permit alone. Can bring family later.
4. My Uni fee and living expenses(2years) for self + dependent child was some 58K. I showed 60K of liquid funds (savings account +fixed deposit) and another 100K as portfolio investments (not-liquid).
5. Rock-solid SOP. I showed how the Masters at Canadian Uni will help me back in my home country. The increasing job prospects in this field etc. It should have answers to:
a) why going back to studies at this age?
b) why not choosing to study in home country?
c) why Canada?
d) why this particular Uni?
e) what job prospects after completion?
f) strong family ties back home ( I showed immovable property and parents living in India)

If you have a SOP ready, i will be happy to review it for you.
wishing you all the best.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
As already mentioned, try unis in the Atlantic provinces. Sobey school of business in Halifax tends to admit mature candidates for their MBA, evaluate it.

Ameelia

Feb 4, 2022
Hi,

Hi there, i am in same boat, i wish to pursue MBA ,as am 40yrs old, and having 13yrs of work experience as manufacturing supervisor, looking for MBA options in Canada, worried that if this would be a bad decision, hope you can give some insight.. Many thanks in advance..