India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Friends,
Happy New Year all.

We are one week old immigrants in Canada :) We already feel the positive vibes and slowly we are settling in Hamilton. My wife already secured a job at a call centre, and the work starts early next week. The pay is not great, but I guess the experience will have some positive contribution in character building- at least knowing the Canadian work culture, interacting with new people, and definitely improvising her speaking and listening skills.

After moving to Hamilton we were pretty much open - whether to join some college program or taking a PT or FT job. Since we arrived towards the end of the calender year we missed almost all the deadlines for a January 2014 admission. We also need to do couple more things before we send in an application, e.g. educational credential evaluation, obtaining transcripts from India and recommendation letters, exploring options on financial assistance (like OSAP), doing some homework on finding the right program and right college, and finally getting used to Canadian winter!

My wife is quite keen on taking a program related to healthcare. Back in India she did her graduation in biology (3 yr), followed by an MBA in human resources (2 yr). Then she worked for a telecom company as an HR manager for about 2 years. Now we are here in Hamilton as PRs. She seems quite comfortable in doing a diploma or certificate on "Medical Office Administration", preferably 1 year duration. The expectations on the outcomes of the program are not very high - just an admin job in an hospital or clinic environment. Before we plunge in we would like to gather opinion and inputs on this program. Considering our still evolving plans we may be good with an on-line program. We are not so sure if we would be staying in Hamilton for another two years. Basically we move as a family where ever my job takes us.

What are the deficiencies of an on-line degree compared to an on-campus degree in terms of finding work after graduation, assuming the same college is offering both types of degrees? Do hospitals really care if your medical admin degree is on-line or on-campus?

If we go with the on-line program, is it possible to get OSAP for such a program? The candidate will be 28 years old by the program starts in Fall 2014.

Any idea about the reputation (general perception) of Mohawk College, and their medical office admin program? Can you recommend any other college offering such programs (St Lawrence college, Kingston?)?