+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Leave

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi! Can anybody please help me about this? I'm a live-in caregiver for 10 months now. My problem is, I got pregnant by my Canadian boyfriend. He is willing to marry me after I give birth sometime in May. We've talked about me stopping to work in January because I'd be too pregnant by then to be able to work. I'm troubled with these questions

1. Can I qualify for EI benefits? And would they give me Maternity benefits too? What documents would they require from me?

2. Which one is more advisable for filing permanent residency later on? Filing through my spouse or just continue finishing off my live-in caregiving?

3. My agency told my employer that it would be illegal for me to continue working with her if I move out of the house. The agency told her that I should be living with my host family. Is it true?

I hope anyone could advise me about my situation. It would be very helpful..... Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, you can get EI maternity benefits. They will pay you 55% of your wages for up to 50 weeks You should visit Service Canada to ask about the details. What you would need is a record of employment from your employer which states how many hours you have worked and how much money you have paid into EI etc.

2. Filing through your spouse would be faster. Otherwise you are taking time away from your work because of the baby and it will not be counted as a part of the 24 months you have to work total.

3. Your agency is probably right. Your work permit is based on being a live-in caregiver. If you move out of the house, you are not a live-in caregiver anymore. You can call CIC to ask about this, their number is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
would I qualify for the EI benefits too since I'd be unemployed for at least a year?

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
So sorry.......I didn't calculate first before posting a reply Leon......Yeah thanks a lot! That'd be 12 1/2 months benefit. Thank you.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Here's my next question......I've been living with him on the weekends only since April. He wants to put me in his insurance as his common law now for the benefit I can get when I deliver our baby. Am I qualified to be his common law already? We haven't been living together for 12 months yet. And I only live with him during weekends. I'd just move in with him permanently on January when I stop working.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maternity benefits also come from EI. You can not get maternity and unemployment benefits at the same time but it is the same amount of money, both 55% of your wages. You can share some of the leave with your boyfriend. If he takes a month off work on benefits, then you get a month less.

I don't know how many weeks are in your year but in my year, there are 52 weeks so 50 weeks of benefits is 2 weeks less than a year, so more like 11.5 months and not 12.5.

You will have to deal with his insurance to whether you are common law or not. For immigration purposes, you are not common law.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi! I got a follow up question on this topic. I hope anyone could help me with this. Me and my fiance just got married on the weekend. What is the first step in applying for permanent residency in Alberta? Can anyone pls give me a link on where to download forms. Leon advised me to do an outland application in Buffalo, how I do that? Thanx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the outland forms at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
hi base on ur experience i want to get more info too from u..when u get pregnant did u still work or stay in your employer house even your preggy?or did u leave the house or quit until u get married..becoz i just want to know also what did u do?thanks..are u filipina?

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Yap I worked until I was 6 months pregnant. We lived together after I quit my job and got married before I gave birth. I can't tell you much yet since my papers are still sitting at home cos it's taking me forever to complete my requirements. There are so many requirements to apply for permanent residency through my husband.