+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity leave on temporary work visa

julchen_79

Star Member
Mar 4, 2008
Hi,

I have a quick question; have been working with the same company for three years now on different work visas. My current is valid for another two years, will I be able to take maternity leave on a temporary work permit? How much would I receive?

Your replies are highly appreciated,
Julie

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that you would qualify for maternity leave. TFW's have problems getting regular EI benefits because they are not in the position of being able to take another job that comes along so that is why. With maternity leave or sickness benefits, you are not expected to be looking for another job so I don't see why it would be a problem. You would get 55% of your gross salary but it tops out at some $447 per week. More info at http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/special.shtml#Who

aon

Jan 29, 2009
To Leon:

I am holding TWP and my husband is holding SOWP. I got pregnant and would like to know if I could take maternity leave or resign from my current job with out affecting my husband's open work permit.

I would like to resign from work, but my husband will still stay and keep with his current job.

If I resigned and my employer cancel my TWP, does my husband SWOP has to be cancelled as well? Or it is not affected at all?

Thanks, I really need some info about this.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your employer can not cancel your WP. If you quit at your employers, you still have the right to stay in Canada until your work permit expires and so does your husband. You need to talk to Service Canada about applying for maternity benefits and your rights in the system. I do believe that your employer can not fire you for going on mat. leave. I believe that your job is protected for up to a year or something but do ask (and then let us know).

aon

Jan 29, 2009
Thank you so much Leon for a quick response.

I came here in October 2008 and arrived together with my husband (on open WP).

I am on three-year contract with TRV and WP expires in Aug 2011.

Now, I know more helpful information!!
Thanks again