+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Leave - Citizenship Application Question 11

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Dear Friends,
We are filling in forms for my wife's citizenship application, and wondering Qn 11. My wife was on maternity leave for 1 year during the eligibility period, and we are filling it as "unemployed - maternity leave", and stating "N/A" for Name of contact, phone number, email address details. Hope that is fine.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
Dear Friends,
We are filling in forms for my wife's citizenship application, and wondering Qn 11. My wife was on maternity leave for 1 year during the eligibility period, and we are filling it as "unemployed - maternity leave", and stating "N/A" for Name of contact, phone number, email address details. Hope that is fine.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
That sounds fine, just ensure you do not leave any gaps. Maternity leave is completely fine!

Reactions: canadapr98

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
Thank you, Marcher. I just wanted to make sure that whether maternity leave is considered as unemployment vs. employment.
My personal view would be unemployment as one goes on EI during that period. Remember everything has to match with what you filed for your taxes; so if you filed she was receiving EI, then she cannot be considered employed.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
My personal view would be unemployment as one goes on EI during that period. Remember everything has to match with what you filed for your taxes; so if you filed she was receiving EI, then she cannot be considered employed.
great. Thank you for the response.

Monkeybar

Oct 12, 2017
Hello :)

I was on 1 year mat leave and I put this info on my application, Q.11
During my mat leave I visited my family in US and stayed with them for 4 months which I declared as a "family matter" on my presence calculator.

Question. Do I need to add my US visit/family vacation onto the application in Q.11 as a separate entry? (I am not US resident, I reside and pay my bills and taxes in Canada)
I am confused because application asks WHERE WERE YOU PHYSICALLY LOCATED but again should I mention my vacation address or not because I declared it with my other travels....

So if I do add my vacation address in the chart (since it was in the middle of my 1 year mat leave)- should I do separate rows for different months of my mat leave to show them where I was and when?
Or should I keep 1 row Jan 2014-Jan 2015 "Maternity leave" and in address section put 2 addresses?

I am confused
Please advise :)
thanks!

Last edited:

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Sorry to jump in on someone else's question but mine is the same or at least a similar circumstance.

I will be applying for Canadian citizenship in the coming weeks/months so need to clarify something.

I have worked for my current employer for the best part of 5 years now but I am currently on parental leave due to the birth of our second child and having a few months off to help my wife as my job (truck driver) has me gone most of the time so without taking parental leave, I wouldn't be any help to her at all.
I finished work about 2 weeks before our child's birth, due partly to the hospital having concerns and wanting to induce and partly because as above, my job means I'm gone so I wasn't prepared to completely miss the birth to try and squeeze in one last 1 or 2 week trip etc
So, I worked up until mid/late November for my employer, then finished work and the baby was born on December 5th and I applied for parental leave/EI within a day or two of his birth day as you have to wait until after the child is born to be eligible to apply.
I'm currently still at home on parental leave and will be returning to work sometime in either March or early April.

As far as I'm aware, I haven't ceased to be employed by my company but at the same time they're not paying me to be away from work, EI is, so do I record November as being the end date of my employment with my company and December on wards as the start date of 'EI-Parental Leave' or can/should they run concurrent to each other?

Reactions: qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Sorry to jump in on someone else's question but mine is the same or at least a similar circumstance.

I will be applying for Canadian citizenship in the coming weeks/months so need to clarify something.

I have worked for my current employer for the best part of 5 years now but I am currently on parental leave due to the birth of our second child and having a few months off to help my wife as my job (truck driver) has me gone most of the time so without taking parental leave, I wouldn't be any help to her at all.
I finished work about 2 weeks before our child's birth, due partly to the hospital having concerns and wanting to induce and partly because as above, my job means I'm gone so I wasn't prepared to completely miss the birth to try and squeeze in one last 1 or 2 week trip etc
So, I worked up until mid/late November for my employer, then finished work and the baby was born on December 5th and I applied for parental leave/EI within a day or two of his birth day as you have to wait until after the child is born to be eligible to apply.
I'm currently still at home on parental leave and will be returning to work sometime in either March or early April.

As far as I'm aware, I haven't ceased to be employed by my company but at the same time they're not paying me to be away from work, EI is, so do I record November as being the end date of my employment with my company and December on wards as the start date of 'EI-Parental Leave' or can/should they run concurrent to each other?
If you haven't been formally terminated by your current employer - you're still "employed" with them.

Reactions: robinhood_1984

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
If you haven't been formally terminated by your current employer - you're still "employed" with them.
That's my understanding too, but I'll also be receiving a T4 from the Federal Government for my EI pay too so I'm guessing I should include EI as an employer alongside my actual employer for the relevant period of time?

So something like

Company ABC June 2013-Present
EI - Parental Leave December 2017-Present (or the actual end date if I return to work before signing)

???

Reactions: qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
That's my understanding too, but I'll also be receiving a T4 from the Federal Government for my EI pay too so I'm guessing I should include EI as an employer alongside my actual employer for the relevant period of time?

So something like

Company ABC June 2013-Present
EI - Parental Leave December 2017-Present (or the actual end date if I return to work before signing)

???
That is correct.

Reactions: robinhood_1984

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Back again with another question!

It seems that even though I applied for EI-Parental Leave in early December 2017, by the time the application was processed and I received back pay for the eligible time in December, it was already well in to January. I've logged into my Service Canada account and it says that I have no T4's available for 2017 so contrary to what some people are telling me, I assume that all of the December payments that I received in January will appear on the 2018 T4 on the basis that they were actually paid to me in that year, even though some of the income was 'earned' in 2017?

If that's the case, what should I tell IRCC on my application, they'll probably check into my tax records with CRA and notice that I've declared receiving EI for December but there will be no tax records to back that up.

I'm thinking that some kind of additional explanatory note attached to explain the situation is a better option than removing December's EI from my application all together?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
That is not true.

Technically her job was "on hold" and she was collecting EI during her maternity leave. She was not "employed" by the company as she was not getting paid by the employer during leave. Only that her job is secured upon returning from her leave. She would be getting an EI income tax slip from EI for income tax filing, not from her employer during her maternity leave.

If she was "employed" by company during her maternity leave, she wouldn't be able to claim EI if she was let go shortly after her return to work since she would have to "restart" her qualification EI employment hours from scratch.

In my opinion, she should list "maternity leave" in her work history. Once she get paid by the company, that is when she started working for company. Write N/A for name of contact during her maternity leave since she was, after all, at home from work.

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
That is not true.

Technically her job was "on hold" and she was collecting EI during her maternity leave. She was not "employed" by the company as she was not getting paid by the employer during leave. Only that her job is secured upon returning from her leave. She would be getting an EI income tax slip from EI for income tax filing, not from her employer during her maternity leave.

If she was "employed" by company during her maternity leave, she wouldn't be able to claim EI if she was let go shortly after her return to work since she would have to "restart" her qualification EI employment hours from scratch.

In my opinion, she should list "maternity leave" in her work history. Once she get paid by the company, that is when she started working for company. Write N/A for name of contact during her maternity leave since she was, after all, at home from work.
So in my case above, how should I document it on my application?

I've worked for my current employer since July 2013. I've been off of work since the 17th of November 2017 and my wife had our baby on the 5th of December 2017, I applied for EI Parental Leave a couple of days later and it wasn't processed and granted until sometime in mid January and as a result there is no T4 for EI for 2017 as no money was paid until the second half of January 2018.

On my application form should I state that my employment with my company actually ended 11/2017 or keep it open and just put that I'm still employed there alongside a seperate addition of EI from 12/2017 until sign date which will probably be before I finish EI and return to work.

FrodonSBK

Feb 28, 2018
That is not true.

Hello everybody, I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE

i was on a sick leave for 2 months before i send my application, but still with the same company
The thing is in the history of jobs i named only the company where i worked, i thought there is no need to mention my sick leave

Should i contact IRCC to clarify that ?????????

Please advise !!!!!!!!