+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity dilemma

Anuanu643

Dec 11, 2020
I have recently received my COPR while I'm pregnant and I plan to land in Saskatchewan immediately. My due date is March 15, 2021. Today is December 12, 2020. My question is will I be able to get Saskatchewan health benefits by the time I am ready for the delivery of my baby? Also I am the primary applicant and my husband is the dependent. He plans to travel later close to the delivery date. Will I be eligible to receive health benefits/ card even if my spouse travels on a later date? It'd be very helpful
to know.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
it’s all listed on Sask Health website, where presumably you’ll have to look thru on how to register for healthcare

Moving to Saskatchewan
If you and your family are moving to Saskatchewan at the same time, you will have Saskatchewan health coverage beginning on the first day of the third month following the date you established residency in Saskatchewan. Normally, your home province will cover you and your family until your Saskatchewan benefits take effect.

For example, if you established residency in Saskatchewan September 27, then your Saskatchewan health coverage would begin December 1.

Married/Common-Law Couples Moving on Different Dates
If you move to Saskatchewan, and your spouse will be joining you within 12 months of your arrival, then you will both have Saskatchewan health coverage starting on the first day of the third month following the arrival of your spouse in the province.

For example, if you arrive in Saskatchewan on January 1 and your spouse arrives on June 10, then you will both have Saskatchewan health coverage beginning September 1.

If your spouse does not join you within 12 months of your arrival, then you will each be considered individually. You will have Saskatchewan health coverage beginning at the end of the 12-month period and your spouse will have coverage beginning on the first day of the third month following his or her arrival.

For example, if you arrive in Saskatchewan on January 1, 2017 and your spouse joins you in June 2018, then your Saskatchewan health coverage begins January 1, 2018 (at the end of the 12-month period), and your spouse's coverage begins September 1, 2018.

In both situations, your former province of residence will continue to cover you while you are in Saskatchewan, until your Saskatchewan coverage takes effect.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have recently received my COPR while I'm pregnant and I plan to land in Saskatchewan immediately. My due date is March 15, 2021. Today is December 12, 2020. My question is will I be able to get Saskatchewan health benefits by the time I am ready for the delivery of my baby? Also I am the primary applicant and my husband is the dependent. He plans to travel later close to the delivery date. Will I be eligible to receive health benefits/ card even if my spouse travels on a later date? It'd be very helpful
to know.
When did you receive COPR? If after March, you aren’t eligible to travel.

Reactions: canuck78

DesertRoseKSA

Jan 4, 2021
Hi,

I need help on similar situation although for Ontario province.

I will be landing in Toronto on 10th Feb and I'm now 6 weeks pregnant. I need to understand which Insurance can cover for maternity checkups and expenses if OHIP is not available? I'm happy to purchase right away an insurance which covers for maternity.

Secondly, without Insurance, if I have to go for private checkups, what expenses can I expect please so as I can prepare for worst case scenarios? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Although pregnancy is a common things, it's our first time and me any husband are somewhat worried given the travel during this COVID time and need to find a job in Toronto soon. Both of are leaving our jobs in Riyadh now to settle in GTA for good. We start our journey in Toronto from 10th Feb (fingers crossed). Advices will be appreciated. Thank you.

ivand

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Hi,

I will be landing in Toronto on 10th Feb and I'm now 6 weeks pregnant. I need to understand which Insurance can cover for maternity checkups and expenses if OHIP is not available? I'm happy to purchase right away an insurance which covers for maternity.

Secondly, without Insurance, if I have to go for private checkups, what expenses can I expect please so as I can prepare for worst case scenarios? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Although pregnancy is a common things, it's our first time and me any husband are somewhat worried given the travel during this COVID time and need to find a job in Toronto soon. Both of are leaving our jobs in Riyadh now to settle in GTA for good. We start our journey in Toronto from 10th Feb (fingers crossed). Advices will be appreciated. Thank you.
You will be eligible for OHIP and no-charges birth after (up to) 3 month after you land. If you land in February, you coverage will start on May 1st.
If you want, you can pay out of pocket for midwives to do your check ups, or talk to them and they will bill you later, whey you have your coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

You should be prepared that it could be 6+ months before finding employment given the current economic conditions depending on what type of job you are looking for. The GTA has been especially hard hit by covid. IT and distribution centres like amazon are the slight exceptions. On a positive note you currently don’t have to wait the 3 months to qualify for OHIP. Medications For adults over 25 are not covered so any medication costs so if you need or take any medications plus your prenatal vitamins will be your responsibility. To qualify for any maternity payments you’ll need to work 600 hours before you give birth which may be difficult. Maternity payments offered by the government is only a fraction of your salary if you do eventually qualify. Would recommend you remain flexible, don’t commit to any lease before one of you have found permanent employment, consider moving out of the GTA if you find jobs elsewhere and live with minimal items until you find jobs unless you have enough savings to last at least a year without working. I‘m sure you realize it’s really not an ideal time to relocate. Did you receive your COPR before March 18 2020?