+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity benefits/ EI for business owner

Sehriii.o

Sep 24, 2019
Hi guys. Could you please let me know if anyone of you was able to get maternity benefits as a business owner/ self employed?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi guys. Could you please let me know if anyone of you was able to get maternity benefits as a business owner/ self employed?
There is a special opt in program for EI special benefits for self employed individuals, business owners but you have to register PRIOR to getting pregnant, you cannot register and receive benefits after the fact. You have to pay into the system for 12 months before receiving any benefits. As well, once you register and start paying into the program, you CANNOT opt out, you are obligated to pay premiums for the entire time of your self employed/business owner period. This is too prevent abuse of the system. You only receive benefits by paying premiums into the system, if you have not paid, then it would not make sense to get any payments, it is like insurance
In a nut shell you would have had to PLAN any pregnancy ahead of time to receive any maternity benefits, if you are already pregnant, then as above, no

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-self-employed-workers.html

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Do you know where to register for it?

Please read the link I attached, in its entirety, it has all the information required on how to register for these particular benefits. Once again, if you are already pregnant, you do not qualify, you must register and PAY into the plan for 12 months before being eligible for any of the special benefits.