+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters program completed, eligible to claim points before convocation?

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Hey @cdfaria
I am also in the same boat. Could you please provide me sample LoE how you explained your situation on your application regarding not having degree certificate.
You don't need a LoE. The program completion letter is sufficient. Get that from your university.

Reactions: astraldust

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
My wife has completed her Masters from UBC this October 2015 (Started in August 2013). She has got the program completion letter from UBC but her degree will be conferred in next Graduate session (Convocation in May 2016).
If I fill up the express entry profile now what should I put (a or b) for education qualification?

Standing at the end of study period?
Available options are-
a. In good standing but no diploma or degree awarded
b. Certificate or diploma or degree awarded
c. Not Completed

Do you get points for program completed state?
Dear Riasat,
Would you be so kind as to post the template for the letter? I am worried that wording may affect the decision.

Best!

engimam

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Re: Question about 'Degree awarded', need help!

In her program completion letter, it says -

"This is to confirm that XYZ has completed all requirements for the degree of
MASTER OF SCIENCE - In Computer Science at the University of British Columbia.
The program requirements were completed on October 30, 2015. Subject to the approval of the
Senate, this degree will be officially conferred at the next available graduation session."

Hey bro, I am in the same situation now. What did you do ? did they accept the letter of completion ? what did you choose for the education " in a good standing but no degree is awarded" or "degree is awarded"

ndubey04

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Hi Guys I am in the same situation and planning to submit my documents with before convocation (with letter of graduation and transcripts). Can anyone explain the actual process and the content to be written under LOE

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Are you completely sure of this? I mean have you heard or seen anyone that has applied for EE using only their graduation letter?

This is a serious deal if we apply only with a graduation letter and its not accepted the application could be rejected! Please let me know if you have first hand experience of this being accepted.
Hi! Did it work for you?

tharindumax

Mar 17, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering if you have got any success with using the graduation letter?
I am in the same position so when filing the profile I wrote that my degree was awarded on the date I got the graduation letter. However if I get an ITA i probably would still have chance to upload my actual degree as it will be conferred within the 90 days to fill the application. I am afraid that they reject it since I technically didn't state the correct date for degree awarded :(
Hi Rousi,
Have you received any update? I'm also facing a similar situation. In my case I can get my transcript by mid of next month..I'm thinking to apply EE by selecting program completed and get invited..all about getting into next ITA..

tharindumax

Mar 17, 2019
Dear All,
I have completed all the requirements of my master's program in Canada and currently awaiting the final grading, that will be released by end of September 2020(a few more weeks).
Is it fine to update my EE profile as I have completed masters as I would pass the cutoff by adding this?
Also, in case I receive an invitation after adding this in the next few weeks, do I need the official transcript to prove my education in Canada? or an unofficial transcript downloaded online would be fine?
kindly suggest me the best option or is it better wait for few more weeks..but will miss the next ITA round :(:confused:

tharindumax

Mar 17, 2019
Re: Masters program completed, eligible to claim points?

I was in a very similar sitution before...i chose completed masters and got points and invitation as well...but in the end i rejected the invitation as actual degree is a necessity for proof of education...I emailed cic and they just told me the requirments without commenting about my situation...
HI did you got any updates?

kiruthigasridhar

Aug 26, 2020
Hi Guys,

I'm in a similar situation, would be of great help if someone can pitch in and give their inputs.

Is it ideal to select option A or B, if you just have a Course Completion letter from the Canadian College?

It will take another 3 months for me to receive my degree. Meanwhile, I will be missing my chance of getting an ITA if I can't claim points for my Canadian Education.

tharindumax

Mar 17, 2019
Hi Guys,

I'm in a similar situation, would be of great help if someone can pitch in and give their inputs.

Is it ideal to select option A or B, if you just have a Course Completion letter from the Canadian College?

It will take another 3 months for me to receive my degree. Meanwhile, I will be missing my chance of getting an ITA if I can't claim points for my Canadian Education.
If you got a Course Completion letter and transcript mentioning that you had fulfilled the requirements of your full course then go for option B. There is no point waiting for the award ceremony or degree certificate.

mikefox299

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
So I just mustered up the courage to enter the pool and selected the degree completed option for my masters that I got from Canada. I will probably receive an ITA at the beginning of October and my actual diploma should be in my mailbox by the end of October or early November at the latest. So should be able to upload both my letter of completion + actual diploma.

I guess my question is about the "to date" that I filled in the EE education section. My completion letter says I was done with all my requirements in August 2020 and am waiting upon senate approval/convocation in October 2020. My transcripts also say "MBA Sought After October 1, 2020".

So which date do I use, the October or August one for the degree details in the EE profile? Would hate to have my application rejected over such minor details.

And while we're at it, would it be advisable to change my status to "Not completed or In Progress" instead of "Completed and degree awarded" until October?

Reactions: SripadJ

SripadJ

Jan 10, 2021
So I just mustered up the courage to enter the pool and selected the degree completed option for my masters that I got from Canada. I will probably receive an ITA at the beginning of October and my actual diploma should be in my mailbox by the end of October or early November at the latest. So should be able to upload both my letter of completion + actual diploma.

I guess my question is about the "to date" that I filled in the EE education section. My completion letter says I was done with all my requirements in August 2020 and am waiting upon senate approval/convocation in October 2020. My transcripts also say "MBA Sought After October 1, 2020".

So which date do I use, the October or August one for the degree details in the EE profile? Would hate to have my application rejected over such minor details.

And while we're at it, would it be advisable to change my status to "Not completed or In Progress" instead of "Completed and degree awarded" until October?
Hi Mike,
I am in a similar situation. How did you submit your application? Can you please let me know?

SripadJ

Jan 10, 2021
If you got a Course Completion letter and transcript mentioning that you had fulfilled the requirements of your full course then go for option B. There is no point waiting for the award ceremony or degree certificate.
Hi,
Were you successful in your application by submitting the degree completion letter and transcript? Please guide. Thank you!