+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters program completed, eligible to claim points before convocation?

M.Gouda

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Folks, please help as am about to decline ITA!

I got my master's in Canada in October 2016.. but convocation is in June 2017... Confer date of degree is in June 2017.. letter of completion confirms that I completed all the requirements of that degree and that I would get my certificate in June 2017!!

If I chose that degree complete but no degree awarded would I lose points?

I already got ITA and choose that degree awarded!... I should get my certificate this June!!

If I submit, will my application be rejected!

What is the point from waiting 8 months!!!! This means I will also miss the rest of June draws!!

PLEASE ANYONE HELPPPP please be sure about ur answer.. thanks so much..

Reactions: yhome

grapehair

Jan 14, 2017
When did you first become qualified to practice in this profession?

What did you answer to that question?

And what do you plan on presenting when you'll be asked yo upload the degree?

Gobindbir

Aug 29, 2017
Yes. You need a degree completion verification letter from your department + your official transcript and that should do.
I am having the same problem right not. Have got the ITA on 9th August. But will get the degree in November. I do have transcripts and letter of completion from university listing my convocation time and the time it will be proposed to the senate. Were these two documents a success in your case along with an explanation letter?

And should I choose the option of IN GOOD STANDING.... or DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE AWARDED for my masters education?

Help would be really appreciated.

yhome

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
I am having the same problem right not. Have got the ITA on 9th August. But will get the degree in November. I do have transcripts and letter of completion from university listing my convocation time and the time it will be proposed to the senate. Were these two documents a success in your case along with an explanation letter?

And should I choose the option of IN GOOD STANDING.... or DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE AWARDED for my masters education?

Help would be really appreciated.
Yes, choose IN GOOD STANDING until receiving your certificate! This is the safest choice.

cdfaria

Sep 24, 2017
Winnipeg
Hi, what was the outcomes of your application? Did everything goes well? Did you receive your PR? Any problem at all? Right now I'm in your same previous situation. I Received my ITA, all docs uploaded but still not sure if I should submit since my convocation will happen on October. Thanks.

VDej

Jan 21, 2018
Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2018
Doc's Request.
09-05-2018
Yes if you have the official graduation completion letter from the university.
Hi riasat.abir
You were able to apply with the letter and not the actual degree? What pitfalls should I avoid when filling my forms?

yhome

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Hi riasat.abir
You were able to apply with the letter and not the actual degree? What pitfalls should I avoid when filling my forms?
As per conversation with CIC agent, you must wait till your convocation to claim the points.

Reactions: Kahl Lee

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Hi riasat.abir
Yes program completion letter is sufficient, didn't have to wait for convocation.

Reactions: VDej

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09

Ann1990

Dec 19, 2018
Hi,

I completed my master's program this October 2018 and I got the post-graduate work permit letter from the university which confirms that I have successfully completed all degree requirements for the Master's degree but my degree will be conferred in June 2019 (Convocation ceremony: June 2019). We are applying for express entry and my husband is the main applicant and also we do not need the points of my master's degree but I do not know what should I put (a, b or c) for education qualification? I want to be sure which one describes my current situation properly.

Standing at the end of the study period?
a. In good standing but no diploma or degree awarded
b. Certificate or diploma or degree awarded
c. Not Completed

Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks

cdfaria

Sep 24, 2017
Winnipeg
I faced a similar scenario and put option B. All went smoothly. PR since Feb '18. The program completion letter is sufficient, didn't have to wait for convocation. That was my experience. Wish you well.

Reactions: astraldust

Ann1990

Dec 19, 2018
I faced a similar scenario and put option B. All went smoothly. PR since Feb '18. The program completion letter is sufficient, didn't have to wait for convocation. That was my experience. Wish you well.
Thank you so much for your help

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hey @cdfaria
I am also in the same boat. Could you please provide me sample LoE how you explained your situation on your application regarding not having degree certificate.