+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters in Law

May 28, 2015
Hi,

I have done Masters in Law (Specialization in Criminal Law) from India and was awarded with a gold medal. I finished my post graduation in May 2015 but I never worked. I will be moving to Canada in a year on PR as my fiancé is settled there. In order to work in Canada like practising law or working as a legal advisor in some corporate what should be my next steps.

1.Eligible to work by upgrading my studies by getting admission in a recognized university and how my gap after masters will impact my chances for getting admission.
2.Are there other ways like doing some certification or examination which allows me to start working directly.

Please help me finding the right path here.

Regards

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
As far as I know, unlike other countries, Canada will not ask for any registration/licensing to apply for the immigration for professionals like doctors, nurses, and lawyers.

However, please note after making an entry as a PR holder, you will have to get a registration/licensing to pursue your career in the respective field!

You can't work as a doctor/lawyer unless you have cleared the registration process as per the country requirement.

You have to understand that there is a huge difference between Indian laws and Canadian laws.

The Canadian legal system has its foundation in the English common law system with some influence from Scots Law , inherited from being a former colony of the United Kingdom and later a Commonwealth Realm member of the Commonwealth of Nations.

Whereas in India present judicial system of the country derives largely from the British system and has few, if any, connections to Indian legal institutions of the pre-British era.

Visit: Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada and calculate your CRS score.

If you are getting a good score, go for Canada Express Entry program . Otherwise, drop the idea.

May 28, 2015
I already have PR just wanted to know how to start practising law , what requirements do I need to meet to be a professional lawyer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.