waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2011
LANDED..........
29-12-2011
Hello,

I filed my PR application under CEC (application received at Fort Erie on May 10, 2010) and according to ECAS (application tracking system) my application has started to process on Sept 27, 2010. However, during this process (in August) I got engaged to a Pakistani national girl and we (and our families) are pondering over our marriage dates. My question is that if I get married now, possibly November 2010 (while my CEC application - which currently does not have any applicant other than me as I was single back when I applied), would it be permissible for me to change my CEC application to include my wife in my application as well (PS: she would not be in Canada, I intend to go to Pakistan to get married).

Also, would it affect/delay my application?
(Please confirm if I am correct) If I choose to get married now (while I myself am on a post-grad work permit and my CEC application is still under process), would I have to do the following:

1) Go and get married
2) Take lots of photographic evidence of getting married, bring original and translated marriage certificate along with copies of passport, birth certificate, National ID card (any other documents that I am missing ..?) to Canada with me and mail them to buffalo (Canadian embassy) with my file ref.
3) Once they send me the letter to have medical exam done and police certificate (if required, as I have lived in Canada since I was 17 and have not lived in any other country for more than 5 months), then have my and my wife's medical exam done.
4) Send phone bills, emails, gift receipts to the canadian embassy as a further proof of marriage.
5) What happens next, they'll ask for my and my wife's passport ? I'll have to ask my wife to mail her passport to me and then I'll send them to buffalo?
6) Once the PR is approved, they'll stamp a visa on my and my wife's passport and I can re-enter canada as a PR? And then I can go to Pakistan and get my wife along with me ?

I would highly appreciate every bit of help that I can get and the sooner the better as I need to apply for vacation at my work now in order to be able to go and get married in November.

Appreciate your efforts and the ones who put up this forum for information sharing.
Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mah87 said:
My question is that if I get married now, possibly November 2010 (while my CEC application - which currently does not have any applicant other than me as I was single back when I applied), would it be permissible for me to change my CEC application to include my wife in my application as well

If you get married while your application is in process, it is not only permissible to change your application to include your wife, it is REQUIRED.

Also, would it affect/delay my application?

Yes, somewhat, but if you delay the marriage until you get your PR, you will have to go through the sponsorship process, and I am not sure how soon a new PR can sponsor. In the long run, it would take less time to add your (future) wife now (assuming she will meet all of CIC requirements).

(Please confirm if I am correct) If I choose to get married now (while I myself am on a post-grad work permit and my CEC application is still under process), would I have to do the following:

1) Go and get married
2) Take lots of photographic evidence of getting married, bring original and translated marriage certificate along with copies of passport, birth certificate, National ID card (any other documents that I am missing ..?) to Canada with me and mail them to buffalo (Canadian embassy) with my file ref.
3) Once they send me the letter to have medical exam done and police certificate (if required, as I have lived in Canada since I was 17 and have not lived in any other country for more than 5 months), then have my and my wife's medical exam done.
4) Send phone bills, emails, gift receipts to the canadian embassy as a further proof of marriage.
5) What happens next, they'll ask for my and my wife's passport ? I'll have to ask my wife to mail her passport to me and then I'll send them to buffalo?
6) Once the PR is approved, they'll stamp a visa on my and my wife's passport and I can re-enter canada as a PR? And then I can go to Pakistan and get my wife along with me ?

Others will have to give information on whether or how you need to "prove" your marriage. But if you go back to the CIC application instructions, read through them for information on what documents you need to submit for a spouse.

incredible

Sep 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Jes_ON,

What if I get married to someone who is a Canadian PR? Do I have to alter the whole file or just inform them, that she is not part of the application process but I am married to her?

Thanks in advance.

mah87

Oct 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-08-2011
AOR Received.
27-09-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2011
Med's Request
04-08-2011
Med's Done....
26-07-2011 (advance)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2011
LANDED..........
29-12-2011
Hey Jes_ON,

Thanks a bunch for clarifying. However, I am getting mixed reviews from people who have been through the immigration process (although not CEC, but general spousal sponsorships). I'll try to keep this question(s) :) .. short and looking forward to your reply.

1) If I re-apply my CEC application with my wife info in it, would it mean that my file which is already in the queue, would get pulled out of the queue and the while process would start all over again ? Or would it be that my records in Canadian immigration database would get updated accordingly?

2) In order to re-apply (in this context) would I have to resubmit my IELTS result, application processing fee, tax receipts, etc, or should I just attach a letter saying all other related documents are accessible via immigration application file # B*********.

3) Also, I've noticed a lot of people running into this problem of having work permit expired before they get their PR. What should I do in that case? Please refer to a thread or an article/instructions on dealing with situation where the PR application is still under process while the work permit expires.

Thanks once again.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
incredible said:
Hey Jes_ON,

What if I get married to someone who is a Canadian PR? Do I have to alter the whole file or just inform them, that she is not part of the application process but I am married to her?
Hmmm... don't really know. I would inform them and ask them what documents you need to submit...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mah87 said:
1) If I re-apply my CEC application with my wife info in it, would it mean that my file which is already in the queue, would get pulled out of the queue and the while process would start all over again ? Or would it be that my records in Canadian immigration database would get updated accordingly?

Honestly, I don't have a spouse so have no first-hand experience with this. But you do not "re-apply", you add your spouse to your existing application. It wouldn't start all over again, but I suppose the review of your wife's credentials and eligibility (security check, etc.) could make it seem like starting from the beginning.

2) In order to re-apply (in this context) would I have to resubmit my IELTS result, application processing fee, tax receipts, etc, or should I just attach a letter saying all other related documents are accessible via immigration application file # B*********.

Again, you are not re-applying. You are informing CIC that your family status has changed. From the OP 25, p. 9:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/op/op25-eng.pdf

"Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants should be counselled to inform the visa office immediately if their family composition has changed. Please see OP 2 Section 7.7 for more information on adding a family member during processing.

To include adopted children, spouses, or common-law partners as accompanying family members, R4 requires that the relationship must be genuine and not one entered into primarily for immigration purposes.

If family members are added to the application, they must be examined, not be inadmissible and meet the requirements of the Act, before the principal applicant can become a permanent resident."

3) Also, I've noticed a lot of people running into this problem of having work permit expired before they get their PR. What should I do in that case? Please refer to a thread or an article/instructions on dealing with situation where the PR application is still under process while the work permit expires.

In the CEC class, it does not matter if your work permit expires during processing - of course if that happens, you have to stop working and leave Canada on or before the expiration date. You would notify CIC of your change of address.

If you want to stay, then you either have to try to renew your work permit (probably means getting a new LMO first), or change conditions of your stay to a visitor's permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

If you overstay and/or work illegally, your application will likely be rejected.

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
What if you marry a person who will be applying for CEC too?

I am appying this month and fiance will apply jan 2011. My work permit expires dec 2011. Tight eh?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Tight, yes, but not impossible. But, when do you plan on getting married?

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
jes_ON said:
Tight, yes, but not impossible. But, when do you plan on getting married?
I am applying november 2010, getting married decembr 2010, she will apply jan 2011. What do you think? Ofcourse she has to fill the forms differently than me, since she will be legally married before application.

The fact that my application will be under process when she applies, do you think it creates a problem?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
gwpower said:
I am applying november 2010, getting married decembr 2010, she will apply jan 2011. What do you think? Ofcourse she has to fill the forms differently than me, since she will be legally married before application.

The fact that my application will be under process when she applies, do you think it creates a problem?
No, your application doesn't create a problem for her application.

Your getting married 1 month after applying is another story. You will have to add her to your application after you receive your AOR...

Any particular reason you are both applying?

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
We are both internationa students in Canada, now workin under PGWP. Our permits expire together. You have a suggestion?