+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marrying to a Canadian.

martin12

Jan 6, 2008
hey guys, my gf is a canadian and i am goin to visit her in canada and get marry to her, i have a visitor visa for only 1 month, i want to get married and get PR or whatever to stay with her in canada without coming back to my country. so within a month can i get marry and apply for the PR or any kind of visa that let me stay in canada legally ?
answer me please

Martin..

martin12

Jan 6, 2008
what if i said that i will stay for only 1 month ? would they let it for 6 months or what ?

and if my visit is for 6 months and the process of PR or sponsorship didn't finished wth 6 month, can i wait in canada during the process ?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
1. They usually give you 6 months no matter how long you ask for.

2. When you submit your application for PR in Canada, you submit a request for extension of your visa at the same time. They'll allow you to stay until a decision has been made on your application.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get married earlier than 61 day since your arrival into Canada it could be considered as a fraud because VISITOR visa is not supposed to be used for getting married.

For some reason 60 days are accepted by immigration authorities as a period enough adn allowed for changing your mind as a visitor and for making a decision to get married...

fingerscrossed

Oct 17, 2007
Hello,
Just wondering about the comment you posted Regina “it could be considered as a fraud because VISITOR visa is not supposed to be used for getting married.” My wife and I got married in Canada and she was on a Visitors Visa, We made our intensions very clear at the embassy and that’s the visa we were issued. Not sure if the fact that we are an out-of-country application matters or not. My wife has had many visas to Canada and they have all been the same, even the one we got married on. Any thoughts?
Thanks again to everybody for all the input!!!
FC

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
fingerscrossed said:
Hello,
Just wondering about the comment you posted Regina “it could be considered as a fraud because VISITOR visa is not supposed to be used for getting married.” My wife and I got married in Canada and she was on a Visitors Visa, We made our intensions very clear at the embassy and that's the visa we were issued. Not sure if the fact that we are an out-of-country application matters or not. My wife has had many visas to Canada and they have all been the same, even the one we got married on. Any thoughts?
Thanks again to everybody for all the input!!!
FC
Don't worry about it. You won't have any problems.

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
:) he is not going to travel Middle east that where there people are not allowed get marry on visit visa , if incase they consider it fraud as you said but they always have right to appeal against which they cant refuse because girl is canadian and she has birth right to be with husband ,
Regina said:
If you get married earlier than 61 day since your arrival into Canada it could be considered as a fraud because VISITOR visa is not supposed to be used for getting married.

For some reason 60 days are accepted by immigration authorities as a period enough adn allowed for changing your mind as a visitor and for making a decision to get married...

hypnotic8

Dec 29, 2007
Usually the expiry date on your visa is the date you have to enter Canada by. It's up to the IO at the port of entry to decide how long you can stay. They usually allow everybody to stay for 6 months.