+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying in COVID without parents

Apr 10, 2019
Hi Guys

Sorry if the thread gets too long but I really appreciate it if anyone could help.
I am a (Pakistani National), Canadian PR planning to get married to my Indian Fiancee who is currently residing in UAE. We were planning to get married in UAE this summer but due to this whole COVID situation, the travel looks really tough we don't want to risk our parent's health by making them travel down to UAE at this time. Now we have reached at a point where we are considering whether just to get the court marriage done and start his Immigration paperwork we can do a reception or something later when it's easy for both of his and my family to fly down to Dubai.
My question is will marriage without parents look suspicious?
Should we wait until the pandemic is over?
We have been doing long distance for a whole year now and it's just so draining. We don't want to drag his application any further.
Please advise what is the best way to go about it.

Thanks in Advance

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
No, a marriage will look suspicious if the couple seems not to know each other that well or they have not lived together for any significant period of time.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So that means having or not having parents will not matter that much?
The answer given above hints that a meaningful answer requires more context of the relationship.

If a couple has been in a relationship a long time, lived and spent much time together, the marriage is not an arranged one, and the many other factors that go into understanding how real a relationship is - it may not matter at all, particularly with covid.

If it's primarily a long distance or online relationship, little time spent together, etc - it may be quite important (even allowing for covid). All multiplied if an arranged marriage in a culture that expects large traditional weddings.

burlvisa

Sep 21, 2020
The IMM5532E form will ask you to prove your relationship. There are questions about when you met and how and if it was an arranged marriage. It will also ask who attended your wedding ceremony (if there was one) and it will ask if your parents attended and if not then why not.

They will accept an application if you explain why your parents did not attend the ceremonies satisfactorily.

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
They want to know relationship as members posted above. And according to Indian culture or Pakistan cultures parents are mostly present in marriages. But there is no such law that parents's presence is mandatory. Be honest with IRCC explain what you did here on a separate sheet. God will help you bring your spouse here.
There are several other proofs you can attach NOT ONLY parents presence.

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
None of my husband’s friends or family were able to come to Canada for our wedding. We just explained in our application that his grandmothers and mom were too old to travel and his dad and brother both owned businesses that they couldn’t leave for that period of time. We then said we were committed to having a korean wedding in May 2020 for our first anniversary (that we had to cancel ) that his family and friends would be a part of. We also showed that his friends and family sent presents and congratulatory messages for the wedding in Canada too.
As long as you explain it properly, you shouldn’t have a problem with that being a reason of suspicion. Especially with covid it’ll be even more unde

Reactions: dillym

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
My husband and I got married in July of this year. Our parents weren't able to make it due to travel restrictions. But we still had them witness everything on Zoom. We explained this as well.

Try to invite any friends or family or live near you to come for your wedding. And then I would encourage you to explain your situation on your PR application - a global pandemic is a pretty good reason ;)

Reactions: Kiikii

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
My husband and I got married in July of this year. Our parents weren't able to make it due to travel restrictions. But we still had them witness everything on Zoom. We explained this as well.

Try to invite any friends or family or live near you to come for your wedding. And then I would encourage you to explain your situation on your PR application - a global pandemic is a pretty good reason ;)
I am late to the party, but our story is.... me and husband married this year in February at Toronto City Hall, midst of lockdowns and restrictions with only 2 witnesses allowed, no deco, no music, nothing, both of our parents being back home. My sister and her boyfriend also now her fiancé attended and my father got late due to Truckers protest stalling road closures/traffic.