+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying for citeznship

icepick

Sep 17, 2008
Ok here is the problem i have. I know someone who has lived here in Canada for aprox. 20 yrs.(with student and work visa's) But she still cant get citezenship! I want to help her......... if i marry this woman ...
A.) How long does the marriage have to last for?
B.) Do I still have to support her for three yrs if she already has a job?
C.) Is it thrre yrs from day of marriage or seperation?

If ANYONE can help me out on this topic i would be REALLY greatful

Thanx,
cunfussed in Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she is a skilled worker and she should be after all these student visas, she should be able to get permanent residency via provincial nominee program where she lives or the new canadian experience class.

I wouldn't recommend a fake marriage as it's hard enough for people who are married for real to get through the system. If you did it, you would have to convince immigration that your marriage is real, you would have to stay married for at least 1-2 years, the time it takes for her to get PR and you would be responsible for her for 3 years after she gets her PR but only if she takes welfare or other social benefits.

klozowski

Sep 18, 2008
how would you 'prove your marriage is real?' what is a 'real' marriage anyway? do they come to your house and check if you live together? some spouses don't live together (see 'living apart together' on wikipedia). do they check to see if you're sleepign in the same bed or making love? many 'real' marriages lack these elements. do you take a lie detector test to determine if you love the person? many 'real' marriages are also loveless.

i'm very curious about what CIC could possibly do to authenticate a 'real' marriage if both parties claimed it was real.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's how immigration works. When applying for spousal sponsorship, they reserve the right to ask you for proof that you had a relationship before you got married, that you are living as a married couple etc. If you can not convince them that there were other reasons behind your marriage than just to get PR for the non-Canadian spouse, they will reject the application. If it was as easy as saying you're married, a lot more people would cheat on it.

mikeramma

Star Member
Sep 15, 2006
Canada
klozowski said:
how would you 'prove your marriage is real?' what is a 'real' marriage anyway? do they come to your house and check if you live together? some spouses don't live together (see 'living apart together' on wikipedia). do they check to see if you're sleepign in the same bed or making love? many 'real' marriages lack these elements. do you take a lie detector test to determine if you love the person? many 'real' marriages are also loveless.

i'm very curious about what CIC could possibly do to authenticate a 'real' marriage if both parties claimed it was real.
This is the best post i have ever seen in my life hehehe!!!!God bless you dude,and hopefully the cic will be able one day to apply everthing you have mentioned in your thread.