+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying Canadian

courtjoh

Jul 4, 2017
I am engaged to a Canadian and live in a border city in the states. When we get married do I apply for visitors visa and then I can move over while I'm applying for PR? I will always work in the states due to my career. Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I am engaged to a Canadian and live in a border city in the states. When we get married do I apply for visitors visa and then I can move over while I'm applying for PR? I will always work in the states due to my career. Thanks
Are you a US citizen? If so there is no "visa" to apply for, since US citizens are visa-exempt. You can simply show up at the border, and CBSA will assess your entry into Canada and give you visitor status on the spot if allowed entry.

You can't "live" or "move" to Canada while your PR app is processing. You can only "visit". This means if you attempt to stay in Canada yet commute to work every single day, eventually at a random entry CBSA may decide you're trying to live in Canada and will deny you entry. Or if you attempt to enter with a car load full of your belongings, you could also be denied entry based on that. So while your PR app is processing, you need to keep a residency in the US established in case you are no longer allowed into Canada.

Getting a NEXUS pass may help you to make entries into Canada easier, but you may still run into problems.

courtjoh

Jul 4, 2017
Yes I am a US citizen, and I do already have a nexus pass since I do frequent Canada so much, I have an apartment in the states but we are wondering what the best thing to do is, should we go to the court house and get married in Canada first and then apply for the visitors visa so I can move over and have a wedding ceremony some time in the future?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes I am a US citizen, and I do already have a nexus pass since I do frequent Canada so much, I have an apartment in the states but we are wondering what the best thing to do is, should we go to the court house and get married in Canada first and then apply for the visitors visa so I can move over and have a wedding ceremony some time in the future?
Again, you are a US citizen so are visa exempt to Canada. This means there is no such thing as a visitor visa to apply for.

You can't "move" or "live" in Canada until you're a PR. If you attempt to move to/live in Canada at any time before you're a PR, you can be denied entry and given a temporary ban to enter Canada.

Until you're officially a PR, you are a visitor only so must act like a visitor upon any entry to Canada. Being married to a Canadian citizen does not change this fact or give you any special status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Again, as an American, you can visit on your passport alone. You don't apply for a visitor visa (and even if you did get one, it would give you no benefits that you don't already have with your American passport). Again, until you are a PR, you can't "move" to Canada. All you are allowed to do is visit until then.