+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marrying bf for work permit

krexpert

Feb 4, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently applied for my PR under Provincial Nominee Program and received my Application Number. However, my girlfriend, who is currently on a student visa, is considering dropping out of college. This has left us with a few questions and concerns, and we could use some advice from those who have been through a similar situation.

1. If my girlfriend drops out of college and marries me, would she be able to get a work permit according to my work permit status?
  2. If we get married, do I need to add her to my PR application, or can I simply inform CIC without adding her to my application?
We appreciate any insights or experiences that you can share with us.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I recently applied for my PR under Provincial Nominee Program and received my Application Number. However, my girlfriend, who is currently on a student visa, is considering dropping out of college. This has left us with a few questions and concerns, and we could use some advice from those who have been through a similar situation.

1. If my girlfriend drops out of college and marries me, would she be able to get a work permit according to my work permit status?
  2. If we get married, do I need to add her to my PR application, or can I simply inform CIC without adding her to my application?
We appreciate any insights or experiences that you can share with us.

Thank you!
Have you been living with your gf and for how long? Do you have concrete proof of when you started living together? If you are common law have you applied for any permit without declaring your gf? Have you declared your gf to CRA once you became common law (if you are common law)? What type of WP do you have and when does it expire? What TEER is your job?