+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying and sponsoring spouse from Vietnam

Jimbob

Oct 19, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I really hope someone can give me good information. My girlfriend of two years (living in Vietnam) and I want to marry. What is the best way to do this? Should I marry her in Vietnam, get the marriage license, then come home and sponsor her? Is this the best way and if so, how long will it take until she's here?
My friend living in the US, says the best way in his country is the fiancee visa. This means his girlfriend came here, they married and she received PR in 9 months. I told him, I don't this is possible in Canada.
I'm hopeful someone on this forum has the answers to my question, thanks.

Jimbob.

victorialad

Jul 2, 2010
Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
File Transfer...
21-07-2010
Med's Done....
11-03-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2010
LANDED..........
7-12-2010
Jimbob,
There is no fiancee visa for Canada.

I suggest looking at the Immigration website and this forum for advantages/disadvantages of inland vs. outland processing. Check out the processing times too. Vietnam (processing centre Singapore) is not fast, but it is not the slowest either - 7 months on average after the sponsorship is approved.

One consideration that would trump all others is whether your gf could get here on a temporary resident visa. She would need to demonstrate very strong ties to Vietnam. Check out the visitor visa section of this site for more info on this.

You would also have to consider how your gf feels about this too. Weddings are a very important family occasion in Vietnam, and if the wedding was in Canada, it is possible that none of her family would be able to attend.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Jimbob said:
I really hope someone can give me good information. My girlfriend of two years (living in Vietnam) and I want to marry. What is the best way to do this? Should I marry her in Vietnam, get the marriage license, then come home and sponsor her? Is this the best way and if so, how long will it take until she's here?
This is the best way. Get married there, then come home and submit the application. It will take from 6 to 17 months, plus a month and a half for the Canadian part of the application. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can stay there with her while you wait, if that is possible job-wise.

piusk

Oct 19, 2010
canadianwoman said:
This is the best way. Get married there, then come home and submit the application. It will take from 6 to 17 months, plus a month and a half for the Canadian part of the application. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can stay there with her while you wait, if that is possible job-wise.
do not believe what canada consulate or canada foreign affairs tell you for marriage requirements in vn. they are incorrect. vn canadian consulate is not correct either. they are a business charging big money.
you do not need the 8 week wait "statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad". you have to go to vn justice dept. best one is in district 1, hcmc. they require a notarized 'single declaration,' notarized birth cert, passport copies, all translated. may need 3 of each.
everyone has to go to hcmc psychiatric hospital for the 2 min assessment. if you are divorced, you need copies of certificate and judgement, notarized and translated. hcmc has own translation dept to use.
is quite simple now. but after this you need to be interviewed at hcmc justice. for 10 min. whole process takes about 35 days from application to registration ceremony. fee is 25k vnd.

Jimbob

Oct 19, 2009
Hello. Thank-you everyone for your answers. I've been off the forum for a couple of months. Piusk, thank-you for your specific answers. Yes, there seem to be a lot of different answers depending who you talk to. Also I think that maybe some things are changing. I would like my gf to come for a visit, but have no confidence that the Consulate would give her a chance. They have the power and wield it the way they want to, even allowing visitors from only certain countries based on their preference. It's very unfair to honest hard-working people from poor countries. But I guess that's life.
Yes, I believe I will make plans to marry in VN. I will stay there, perhaps 6 weeks until paperwork is done, then come home and sponsor my spouse. Do I need a divorce declaration from my city, my province and the federal gov't? That's what someone told me.
Thanks again..