+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying a wonderful filipina

Jerebeat

Sep 19, 2014
Okay there we go, we gonna start this adventure ;)

I am from Quebec and I am planing to marry a wonderful woman in the Philippines and I need to know everything I need to do it. We are planning to marry there and get a visiting visa for her to come Visit me in Canada for 6 months and apply in january for the spouse sponsorship because those are given in the first month of the year (they have a cota and its usually over by the start of february).

Now I need to know all the papers, all the process and the best way to do it, and quickly ;)

And for those who got tips and that they already pass thru those process.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Start here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp All the forms are there.

You need to decide if you want to apply inland or outland. Inland requires that the applicant remain in Canada for the entire process, and takes 13 months for stage 1 approval (where the applicant can then get an Open Work Permit).
You can also apply outland, where the application will be processed outside of Canada, but the applicant can be in Canada during that time. Depending on your visa office, this is usually a better choice since it's faster than inland, but you are not eligible for an OWP. Manila is listed at 15 months for the second stage, while the first stage is taking about a month and a half right now.

There isn't really a fast way to do it.

Also, there is no guarantee of getting a visitor visa, and spouses are often refused visas due to their lack of ties to their home country. You can certainly apply, but it's not a sure thing.

I have not read anywhere about spouse visas only being given at the start of the year. Where did you hear/read that?

Jerebeat

Sep 19, 2014
Well I was wrong about it it apply only to parents...

Another one that point me the link of the Canada government, this is not what I wanted, I want a clear procedure, not a link who point to a maze.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jerebeat said:

Another one that point me the link of the Canada government, this is not what I wanted, I want a clear procedure, not a link who point to a maze.
Read the first post here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

After getting married, it will be very difficult to get your wife a visitor visa as her strongest ties will be you in Canada, so CIC may feel she will not leave once visitor visa expires. You can submit it and hope for the best, but should prepare for the situation it's rejected so she will need to stay in home country and you'd need to do an OUTLAND application. The complete package and guide is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Assuming you will do Outland, I suggest you check out the Manilla thread to hear from people who also have an application in Manilla VO:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t123646.0.html

Jerebeat

Sep 19, 2014
And for my future wife, does she have to do special things in her country, like special Philippines specific papers?

GabbieLovesAya

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Interview........
they better not ask any more at this point
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
Your wife should get 2 copies of CENOMAR, just before you get married. She will need one to get married, and she should keep one, may need it for the CIC application. Get married as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the longer you will be apart. Get your marriage registered with the NSO in the Philippines. As soon as your marriage is registered with the NSO, have your wife apply for a passport with her new married name. Get familiar with the process of application, yes you have to go through the maze of CIC's requirements. CIC changes forms every so often, so info found on these forums may not be up to date. Start preparing your paperwork so you can submit your app on day 2 after you got married. Be up to date with the CRA, do your taxes every time and on time as soon as possible. Don't be on social assistance. Collect all evidence of the relationship - photos, airline tickets, etc. Meet the family, have pictures. Visit at least twice before you get married. Don't try to alter the truth, misrepresentation is punishable by a 2 year ban of applying again. Failing to do any of the above will only cause delay introduced into the already excruciatingly long processing time. And yeah, don't count on that visitor's visa, her strongest tie is you and she can't prove that she will leave after the visa is up, therefore 99% she will be refused (the visitor's visa or "TRV"). Good luck!

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
Hi jerebeat, I'm also from Quebec and I started this whole process 1 year ago, including the marriage.
First, I visited already my wife once in 2011 before getting married on my second trip in 2013. We kept contact all those years, everyday, and you have to keep evidence of it. Also your airline tickets, receipts of money or gifts you would send there, chatlogs, emails. You should prioritize the diversity over the quantity.

I got civil married there in the Philippines and here are the steps I followed:

1. After you arrive, you need to go to the canadian embassy in Manila to get a paper called "Statement In-lieu of Certification of Non-impediment to Marriage " which is required by the Philippines. You will need to bring birth certificate, statutory declaration that you are not already married and court judgement of divorce if you are divorced. Office hours of embassy is mornings only. You can find address and office hours online.

2. You need to apply for your marriage license in the city you're planning to get married. You can find the form at the town hall of the said city. I don't know about church wedding but I guess the process is the same. You will need paper from embassy, birth certificate translated in english if its in french and court judgement if you're divorced.

3. You will be invited to follow a pre-marital seminar about life together, contraception, etc. This is mandatory by the Philippines and is lasting half a day. They will issue a certificate that you will need to apply for marriage.

4. After you got your license, which can take up to 1 month, you can apply for the ceremony of the marriage at the same town hall. You will have to wait 10 days for the "publication of the bans" (not sure about the term, sorry I'm french). You will be assigned a marriage date by the clerk at town hall.

5. We got married in the judge's office at justice hall of the city we applied. The ceremony lasted for something like 15-30 mins. Try to get some family members of both sides to attend, its looks more genuine to CIC, and have somebody to take pictures if you're not hiring photographer.

Always remember that processing times are long in the Philippines, there's a lot of bureaucracy and you have to wait in line and pay fee for everything so be prepared for that.
Also keep in mind that you are rich to them as a foreigner, that's the culture there. So you can expect you will get the max fee for everything, that people will expect tip from you. There is also a culture of "pay to make it faster" that they call "fixing" which I used for the prompt processing of marriage license.
I stayed 1 month there to do all those things plus honeymoon trip to a resort in Phils. Don't plan shorter time than 1 month because you will be lack of time. I applied in a big city (Quezon city), timelines may be shorter in province.
That's for the marriage, I can post step-by-step guide for immigration application later if you like.
Sorry for the long post, I hope it helped you. Good luck!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Good post! Except that,#3 must not be mandatory . . . it wasn't required of us. Marriage license is also two weeks in our province, although we paid "under the table" to get it in only one week.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Jerebeat said:

The process is not an easy task... its stressing and you need to be well informed...
it is important that you listen to the advise that you receive here and don't look for an easy path...

Take your time to read and you will do well...
try to find shortcuts and you will be in trouble....

You chose what to do... the link that someone provide you have very helpful information.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Edgehead78 said:
Hi jerebeat, I'm also from Quebec and I started this whole process 1 year ago, including the marriage.
First, I visited already my wife once in 2011 before getting married on my second trip in 2013. We kept contact all those years, everyday, and you have to keep evidence of it. Also your airline tickets, receipts of money or gifts you would send there, chatlogs, emails. You should prioritize the diversity over the quantity.

I got civil married there in the Philippines and here are the steps I followed:

1. After you arrive, you need to go to the canadian embassy in Manila to get a paper called "Statement In-lieu of Certification of Non-impediment to Marriage " which is required by the Philippines. You will need to bring birth certificate, statutory declaration that you are not already married and court judgement of divorce if you are divorced. Office hours of embassy is mornings only. You can find address and office hours online.

2. You need to apply for your marriage license in the city you're planning to get married. You can find the form at the town hall of the said city. I don't know about church wedding but I guess the process is the same. You will need paper from embassy, birth certificate translated in english if its in french and court judgement if you're divorced.

3. You will be invited to follow a pre-marital seminar about life together, contraception, etc. This is mandatory by the Philippines and is lasting half a day. They will issue a certificate that you will need to apply for marriage.

4. After you got your license, which can take up to 1 month, you can apply for the ceremony of the marriage at the same town hall. You will have to wait 10 days for the "publication of the bans" (not sure about the term, sorry I'm french). You will be assigned a marriage date by the clerk at town hall.

5. We got married in the judge's office at justice hall of the city we applied. The ceremony lasted for something like 15-30 mins. Try to get some family members of both sides to attend, its looks more genuine to CIC, and have somebody to take pictures if you're not hiring photographer.

Always remember that processing times are long in the Philippines, there's a lot of bureaucracy and you have to wait in line and pay fee for everything so be prepared for that.
Also keep in mind that you are rich to them as a foreigner, that's the culture there. So you can expect you will get the max fee for everything, that people will expect tip from you. There is also a culture of "pay to make it faster" that they call "fixing" which I used for the prompt processing of marriage license.
I stayed 1 month there to do all those things plus honeymoon trip to a resort in Phils. Don't plan shorter time than 1 month because you will be lack of time. I applied in a big city (Quezon city), timelines may be shorter in province.
That's for the marriage, I can post step-by-step guide for immigration application later if you like.
Sorry for the long post, I hope it helped you. Good luck!
Very good post.
Sometimes you can get a break with some requirements,
but what you explain here is what is mandated in Philippines,
if you can get a break good for you....

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jerebeat said:
And for my future wife, does she have to do special things in her country, like special Philippines specific papers?
Rob_TO already gave you a link that you will need to read and will explain what she needs from Philippines.
Rob_To is always right.

You need to read ....

M

mikeymyke

GabbieLovesAya said:
And yeah, don't count on that visitor's visa, her strongest tie is you and she can't prove that she will leave after the visa is up, therefore 99% she will be refused (the visitor's visa or "TRV"). Good luck!
My wife must be one of the 1% then. :p

No really, its never 99% refusal. It really depends on your ability to show that she is a genuine visitor and will leave before her visa expires. My wife is from an even higher overstay risk country than Philippines, married to me, yet was able to get a multiple TRV for life of passport, and also got it in half the posted time.

I really wish I never paid attention to those who keep saying it's impossible to get a TRV, because it's really not as hard as it seems.

GabbieLovesAya

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Interview........
they better not ask any more at this point
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
mikeymyke said:
My wife must be one of the 1% then. :p

No really, its never 99% refusal. It really depends on your ability to show that she is a genuine visitor and will leave before her visa expires. My wife is from an even higher overstay risk country than Philippines, married to me, yet was able to get a multiple TRV for life of passport, and also got it in half the posted time.

I really wish I never paid attention to those who keep saying it's impossible to get a TRV, because it's really not as hard as it seems.
Oh I rather think that the Manila embassy is really full of VO's that passionately refuse TRVs. My wife was going to school in the Phillippines, I just wanted her to come for Christmas... we wrote up everything very nicely, yet there came a refusal within 24 hours. Consider yourself lucky! What embassy did you deal with?