+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying a visitor

steelvisor09

Jun 11, 2019
Hello all....

I am a PR and stay in Ontario. I am planning to marry a girl who is currently in canada as a visitor and I met her here a while back. her visitor visa is valid for about 3 more months, how can i go about this process and what advice do i need from immigration lawyers on this? ideally i would want to have her stay back and not have to leave canada......marrying in my home country and processing spousal sponsorship is the last option that i want to take, since she will be away for a year in that case....

also if anyone can suggest a good lawyer in greater toronto area, that will help as well, I need some recommendation

please help out

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
All you need to do is keep extending her visitor status and apply for an inland spousal sponsorship application plus open work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

No need for a lawyer. Similar cases like yours happen all the time on this forum, if you're patient enough to research and do the work. It's all perfectly legal as long as the extensions are approved.

Recommend you check the Family Class sponsorship forum on this site for more specific steps and requirements.

Last edited:

steelvisor09

Jun 11, 2019
thanks will search up inland sponsorship posts, my question was also about getting marriage license in Ontario coz i'l need to do that....is that a simpele process?

NotARobot

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
thanks will search up inland sponsorship posts, my question was also about getting marriage license in Ontario coz i'l need to do that....is that a simpele process?
Have you been living together with your girlfriend for at least 12 months straight/uninterrupted and have proof of it? If so, then you don't necessarily need to get married. You can file an inland common-law sponsorship application. If the two of you haven't been living together for 12 months straight then you need to legally get married first before you file an inland spousal sponsorship for her. You need to submit your marriage certificate when you apply for spousal sponsorship. I'm not familiar with the process of getting a marriage certificate in Canada (for all I know it could vary by province too), but I'm sure the answer to that can be found easily on the internet. Good luck.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hello all....

I am a PR and stay in Ontario. I am planning to marry a girl who is currently in canada as a visitor and I met her here a while back. her visitor visa is valid for about 3 more months, how can i go about this process and what advice do i need from immigration lawyers on this? ideally i would want to have her stay back and not have to leave canada......marrying in my home country and processing spousal sponsorship is the last option that i want to take, since she will be away for a year in that case....

also if anyone can suggest a good lawyer in greater toronto area, that will help as well, I need some recommendation

please help out

Extend her stay ( see the link below)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

How to get married in Ontario ( see link below)

https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married

then apply for her inland spousal sponsorship

Best Immigration lawyer in toronto in my option is (Battista Smith Migration Law Group #Pablo Irribarra)

Good Luck.