+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marry between ITA (invitation to apply) and e-APR

xyz3000

Jul 8, 2022
Hi friends,

I've received the invitation to apply recently, and we're preparing our documents now, so far so good. But one thing I'm curious is, what if I marry my common-law partner right in this 60 days deadline? Is it permitted? Anything I should do to my application if I get married then?

Thanks in advance.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi friends,

I've received the invitation to apply recently, and we're preparing our documents now, so far so good. But one thing I'm curious is, what if I marry my common-law partner right in this 60 days deadline? Is it permitted? Anything I should do to my application if I get married then?

Thanks in advance.
If you are already common-law then you must have declared your partner already in the application and they will need to provide all the documents like medical and PCC. So from that perspective marrying them won't change anything other than that you will have to provide a marriage certificate.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
To add to the answer above, I’m assuming you’ve declared your common-law in your application before you received your ITA? If so, your score won’t change anyways. Just change your status from common-law to married.

xyz3000

Jul 8, 2022
To add to the answer above, I’m assuming you’ve declared your common-law in your application before you received your ITA? If so, your score won’t change anyways. Just change your status from common-law to married.
Yeah, I've declard my common-law partner in my application before we received the ITA.

It's not possible to change the marital status now as it's locked:

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
Yeah, I've declard my common-law partner in my application before we received the ITA.

It's not possible to change the marital status now as it's locked:

If you can’t change the status now, you can add a letter of explanation along with marriage documents. There’s a place for uploading custom documents.

You could even raise a webform instead after submitting the application. What I’m saying that since you already declared you accompanying partner, getting married is only going to make it simpler, not more difficult.

xyz3000

Jul 8, 2022
If you can’t change the status now, you can add a letter of explanation along with marriage documents. There’s a place for uploading custom documents.

You could even raise a webform instead after submitting the application. What I’m saying that since you already declared you accompanying partner, getting married is only going to make it simpler, not more difficult.
One of my concern is, If we get married, then we might not want to get the common-law partner form signed which would save us some money, besides, it's much easier to get a marriage certificate since we can get it right in the city we currently live while we have to visit another city where there's a Canadian lawer to get the common-law partner form signed, considering the current Covid policy in our country, it's risky to visit another city because you might get locked there for maybe one or two months if you're unfortunate.

The Statutory Declaration of Common Law form is a must have with our current marital status. If we upload a marriage certificate instead of the common law form, is it going to be a misrepresentation? Even with a letter of explanation.

I do consider raising a webform before submitting the application if we get married right in this 60 days deadline.

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
One of my concern is, If we get married, then we might not want to get the common-law partner form signed which would save us some money, besides, it's much easier to get a marriage certificate since we can get it right in the city we currently live while we have to visit another city where there's a Canadian lawer to get the common-law partner form signed, considering the current Covid policy in our country, it's risky to visit another city because you might get locked there for maybe one or two months if you're unfortunate.

The Statutory Declaration of Common Law form is a must have with our current marital status. If we upload a marriage certificate instead of the common law form, is it going to be a misrepresentation? Even with a letter of explanation.

I do consider raising a webform before submitting the application if we get married right in this 60 days deadline.
I don’t think you risk misrepresentation because up to your ITA everything about your marital status is accurate and up to date. So will your status at the time of AOR. Also nothing about this status change affects your score or eligibility.

You’re in China, I assume? If you get married, you will need a marriage certificate with notarized translation, so save time for that.

xyz3000

Jul 8, 2022
I don’t think you risk misrepresentation because up to your ITA everything about your marital status is accurate and up to date. So will your status at the time of AOR. Also nothing about this status change affects your score or eligibility.

You’re in China, I assume? If you get married, you will need a marriage certificate with notarized translation, so save time for that.
Lol, bingo. Thanks, I'll pay attention to it.

Reactions: oinkario
Apr 14, 2024
Help ‼ urgent
I got invited in recent stem draw, I believe I made a big mistake though, as I now realized that I have been living more than 12 months with my girlfriend, so my status is actually common-law. It's all on me not familiarizing with those terms in the beginning, but assuming to be officially single at that time. Is it now too late to change from single to common-law post-ITA? We are soon getting married, and the idea was to include her in the application after submitting it, when we get the marriage certificate. So, if I continue and submit my application as a single, and I later add her to the application, they will likely find out that we have shared an address since 2021, and I can't imagine this leading to anything good.
. Any advice, how should I proceed to still have a chance at the PR?
Also My score increases with her, currently as single 515 and with her is 520.
What should I do