+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIED SAME PERSON TWICE. HELP: PMM, Leon, somebody

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
I have a weird question which a friend (sorta') asked me a few days ago.

She is currently in Canada on a care giver work visa (I think thats what its called). She applied for her PR sometime last year, said she left Canada some months later to get married in Ghana but did not inform CIC of her status change cos she was told it would delay the processing of her application. She didnt want to have her work visa expire while the other application was still pending, I guess.

Her problem: Her Pr was just granted a few days ago. She said she was told she couldnt sponsor a spouse not named in her PR application and she cant possibly present a marriage certificate which pre-dates the grant of her PR application. (or something along those lines). She plans to go back to Ghana (dats where her husband is) and marry her husband AGAIN, jsut to get a recent marriage certificate. But she is forced to go back to the same place where they got married before (I think its a court or registry, not church though) and is worried that CIC will find the records of that first marriage.

I told her I didnt think they would but I didnt have any proof or authority to back this up.

Does anyone have any ideas, experiences, advice, suggestions, authorities on this rather awkward situation?
PMM, Leon, somebody?

Thanx.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
So, basically she is asking for advice on how to try to fool immigration.

She should have added her husband to her PR application regardless of it delaying things - it makes me incredibly angry that people think they can circumvent procedure to make things easier for themselves.

Even if she managed to falsify the documentation and sponsored him, if at any time (during the process or after PR was granted) Immigration discovered that she lied to them both she and her husband face deportation.

I realise that this isn't your problem but my advice to you would be to avoid this "friend" and not to give her any advice what-so-ever.

Sorry!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, she's in trouble all right.

She should have added her husband to her PR application at the time she got married. She could have extended her work visa if that was a problem. If she had done that, they would both be PR today.

With the current situation, she's between a rock and a hard place. She can't sponsor him currently but if she marries him again and tries to sponsor him, it may work out but she will always be looking over her shoulder.

If immigration finds out, even if they have both gained citizenship already in the meantime, it will be seen as fraud and misrepresentation and they can be deported. It can easily happen that immigration finds out later, say if she makes an enemy who knows about this and snitches on her.

I have really no good advice for this situation unless maybe that her husband could try to immigrate on his own.

alok11

Oct 3, 2009
What Siouxie and Leon have said I fully agree. It actually worries me to think some people would deliberately want to create problems for themselves. Why on earth she failed to include her spouse in her PR application is totally beyond my understanding. Delay what?
The maximum delay would have been 4months as it happened to a friend of mine named vamsi001 (You could search for this guy's post on federal skilled worker section of this same forum).
Now to your question, don't ever advise your friend to re-marry same person because CIC would find out about the first marriage anyway even if she goes to another place for the wedding rather than the first place (court or wherever). If CIC finds out, even after they are citizens, they would be reported for misrepresentation and you know what that means am sure. It is deportation and 2years ban.
Like you also said, if she informs CIC now, its too late sorry as she would never be able to sponsor that guy again and she could also be removed from canada.
Finally, the guy can apply for immigration himself but that is also a risk as he would be asked of his marital status and date of his marriage and where his wife is etc and this is implicating his wife too. My honest advise is for that woman to speak to an immigration lawyer, not really sure what could be done though.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Waouuu, even after getting the citizenship, if CIC found out that someone has a mispresentation, he can be deported and baned...I like that, sorry for your friend, but it is only fair for the rest who had suffered a lot to gain the PR and be reunite with their spouses. after all , life is fair...I guess, not sure that she might even loose her PR if CIC found out that she got mrried and didn't inform CIC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Usually, failing to report a marriage only results in the person not being able to sponsor their spouse in the future but there is at least one known case of somebody who lost his PR and was deported for it.

However, if on top of failing to report a marriage, she were to re-marry the same man in an attempt to fool immigration, that would be another misrepresentation.