+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married last name on passport but maiden name on PR card.

neochanges1

Aug 27, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Good day!

My wife and I will be travelling to the Philippines early next year and she already renewed her passport that has my last name but her PR card is still on her maiden name. Question is, will we have any issues regarding re-entering Canada? or as long as we have supporting documents like marriage certificate etc. we should be all set?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
neochanges1 said:
Good day!

My wife and I will be travelling to the Philippines early next year and she already renewed her passport that has my last name but her PR card is still on her maiden name. Question is, will we have any issues regarding re-entering Canada? or as long as we have supporting documents like marriage certificate etc. we should be all set?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I don't have an answer about re-entering Canada however it's better to have her PR card changed with your surname.

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
She will not be able to board the plane, most likely. For obvious reasons. No document such as marriage certificate would convince the airline of anything.

Otherwise, CBSA has no problems with that.

My 2 cents: apply for PR CARD with new name on urgent basis, given you have/will have fully paid tickets.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bubulici said:
My 2 cents: apply for PR CARD with new name on urgent basis, given you have/will have fully paid tickets.
It might be quicker to get a new passport with only the maiden name.

neochanges1

Aug 27, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
steaky said:
It might be quicker to get a new passport with only the maiden name.
Her Passport has been renewed matching the information that we provided to the Airline for our tickets.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She should be fine to travel with the marriage certificate as proof of the name change. I suggest you contact the airline directly to ask, as airlines may have different individual policies regarding this.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neochanges1 said:
Her Passport has been renewed matching the information that we provided to the Airline for our tickets.
So what is your question? The names in passport and PR card matches the information you provided to the airline for your tickets.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
steaky said:
So what is your question? The names in passport and PR card matches the information you provided to the airline for your tickets.
As stated in the first post, the PR card is in the maiden name and therefore different from the passport and airline tickets.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
As stated in the first post, the PR card is in the maiden name and therefore different from the passport and airline tickets.
So why don't the OP apply for a new passport and get new airline tickets which matches the PR card with only the maiden name? It would be quicker than appy for a new PR card.

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
In the Philippines, when you get married and if you want to take your husband’s last name, your last name of your maiden name will be your middle name. Lol I don’t know if I explained that correctly. That’s automatic in all IDs when you change your name in the Philippines. I’m pretty sure the reason why OP’s wife got a new passport is so she can change her IDs issued in Canada eventually since Canada doesn’t have the same rule in changing names.

Hence, if you know someone who’s Filipino, his middle name is the last name of his mother before she got married and therefore he also shares the same middle name with his siblings.

Eg: Christine Torres Garcia

Torres (her middle name) is actually her mother’s maiden name. Her siblings have also the same middle name.

Then, if she married someone named John Lopez Cruz, Christine’s married name will be Christine Garcia Cruz and all of her kids middle name will be Garcia. That’s why it’s easier for us to trace our relatives and if we find someone who has the same last name or middle name we immediately think we are related.

Anyways to OP, I think it’s best to request for a new PR card with her married name. Otherwise you can always check the airline policies. I think your main problem is whether the airline will let you board. If you’re travelling via PAL I don’t think there will be a problem as long as you have your marriage cert. But then again I’m not sure. It’s best to check with them.

Tala_08

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hi. Did your wife encounter any problem when she came back to Canada with different last names on passport and PR card? Just wondering how it turned out. I have the same dilemma. Thanks.

neochanges1

Aug 27, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Hi. Did your wife encounter any problem when she came back to Canada with different last names on passport and PR card? Just wondering how it turned out. I have the same dilemma. Thanks.
She didn't.. but we brought supporting documents proving that she's married to me..