waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
cantor2537 said:
It's a big problem in the US because many from Asia and other countries come to the US through fake marriages. Now, they get a conditional PR and they actually get random checks to see if your house has photos, are living together, etc.
It's also extremely controversial, because it completely screws up the power balance. The sponsored spouses (usually women) are left unable to leave the home to even go to a shelter if abused or if the marriage has broken down, because the sponsoring spouse can report them as having abandoned the relationship and therefore their PR status is placed in serious jeopardy. This is no small thing what Canada is proposing to do, and I for one am very much against it. This leaves the sponsoring spouse with an unhealthy amount of power over the sponsored spouse, even if there is no other abuse in the relationship.

What happens if the sponsoring spouse decides he/she wants out of the relationship during the first two years? Then the sponsored spouse is deported? That means the sponsoring spouse could very easily and effectively control and manipulate the sponsored spouse for the first two years upon arrival to Canada. "Oh you want to do what? Sorry, you do that and I report that the marriage is over." "You don't get to keep that money you earned, because if you do I'll report that the marriage is over and then you won't be earning anymore money here at all." See how quickly this could turn sour?

I know someone will likely respond that the sponsored spouse should go home then, but why should they be forced to restart their lives again because of the abuse of their spouse or simply because the sponsoring spouse wants out of the relationship for any reason? Seems completely heartless.

Danny4450

Champion Member
Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD - Wife case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2010
File Transfer...
27 Jan 2011
Med's Request
Re-medical April 23rd, 2012
Med's Done....
April 24th, 2012
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
April 23rd, 2012 - PP sent on May 1st, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 1st, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah .. Total time = 17 months and 8 days
LANDED..........
Jun 17th, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah :)
AmericaninQuebec said:
It's also extremely controversial, because it completely screws up the power balance. The sponsored spouses (usually women) are left unable to leave the home to even go to a shelter if abused or if the marriage has broken down, because the sponsoring spouse can report them as having abandoned the relationship and therefore their PR status is placed in serious jeopardy. This is no small thing what Canada is proposing to do, and I for one am very much against it. This leaves the sponsoring spouse with an unhealthy amount of power over the sponsored spouse, even if there is no other abuse in the relationship.

What happens if the sponsoring spouse decides he/she wants out of the relationship during the first two years? Then the sponsored spouse is deported? That means the sponsoring spouse could very easily and effectively control and manipulate the sponsored spouse for the first two years upon arrival to Canada. "Oh you want to do what? Sorry, you do that and I report that the marriage is over." "You don't get to keep that money you earned, because if you do I'll report that the marriage is over and then you won't be earning anymore money here at all." See how quickly this could turn sour?

I know someone will likely respond that the sponsored spouse should go home then, but why should they be forced to restart their lives again because of the abuse of their spouse or simply because the sponsoring spouse wants out of the relationship for any reason? Seems completely heartless.
I understand your point of view and your concern regarding this power abuse. But you have to look at the bigger picture. A lot of people are abusing the Canadian immigration system and it is very important to resolve this issue now. I don't care about the nationality of the person getting immigration through spousal sponsorship weather he/she is asian, african, middle-eastern or European but if the intetion is to get immigraton through a fake marriage than there is no other way to resolve this issue for now.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your points are totally legitimate ones but I just want to point out what we all probably know already - no system is perfect, every new change in policy is really just a tradeoff.

Yes, this changes the power balance, but judging by the U.S. example, not as much as you might expect. To go from CR to PR on your green card in the U.S., you typically need both parties to sign off on the petition to remove conditions on residence, BUT if the CR has been battered or abused by his U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, or if the couple gets divorced, the alien may apply to remove the conditions on his permanent residency at any time after he becomes a conditional resident, but before he is removed from the U.S. Also, if the marriage is "not viable" (the couple is separated or not living together), USCIS says that "the petition to remove the conditions of residence shall not be denied provided that the conditional resident can show that the marriage was entered into in good faith and with a genuine desire for a marital relationship, and not solely for immigration purposes." I have no idea how this works in practice and you might tell me that it's a whole 'nother story when it comes to enforcing, I don't know, but the point is, the provision is there at least.

And then let's not forget that the exception to the 2 year rule in the U.S. is if the U.S. citizen is legally sponsoring a spouse in which the marriage at the time of the adjustment of status is more than two years old. So if someone can help it, and frequently they can, let them just apply for PR when they have been married for more than 2 years as a solution to this. The plus side is that people will very often know their spouse much better when they have been with them for 2 years or more than if they are newlyweds. Again, certainly no sure way to avoid an emotionally or physically abusive situation but I think it definetely helps.

AmericaninQuebec said:

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
To an extent there is already a power balance given to the sponsored spouse. How many cases have we heard of, where the sponsored spouse threatens the sponsor with causing them problems by going on welfare knowing the sponsor cannot afford it ,if the sponsor tries to report them for marriage fraud. They manipulate and or leave with the knowledge that they have the power to ruin the sponsor's life. Many learn all the tricks that are available to them to control their sponsor before they leave their country. I understand the plight of the sponsored spouse, but I also believe that the Canadian sponsor needs some protection from manipulation also. Unfortunately there are no ideal solutions, someone will always be on the difficult end of the deal, but should it automatically be the sponsor who faces all the risks and consequences?

We can say that the sponsor needs to be more careful about who they marry and sponsor, but I think that goes equally for the person who is marrying the sponsor. The question becomes who gets the most protection, the sponsored immigrant, or the sponsor. It really is a very difficult situation to figure out I'm afraid.

I just thought I would give another tricky point to this dilemma.

AmericaninQuebec said:

Feb 14, 2017
What about reporting a person who has intention to fraud marriage? She has mental illness and willing to do anything to stay in Canada. Right now she is looking for a partner and dating just to get married within this year to settle her problem to stay in Canada. Is there anyway to have her deported?