+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married -how long until I get working permit

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I came in Canada with visitor visa ,met a girl here,fell in love and got married.
For how long now I will have to wait for permanent resident status,working permit and citizenship ?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow fast move, hang on cowboy.

Firstly IO will determine why you got married while on visitors visa, the following questions will arise
What were your intentions of coming to Canada in the begining
1) How did you meet this person
2) Where did you meet this person
3) Why did you marry her in Canada
4) Why did you come to Canada and get married, why didnt you get married in your home country
5) What was the urgency for you to get married
6) Whether this is a genuine relation or marriage of convenience
So pretty much they'll do an x-ray of your past, present and possibly future intentions.

Once all this is done they are going to do the same with the person you married. So as you can see the process will take time. But if you are not marrying for the purpose of convenience then you have nothing to fear or issue with how long it takes. You guys are together and happy thats all that matters.

So it will take some time, I have a couple of friends who have gone through the same process it takes anywhere from 3 to 4 years for them to become PR

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3-4 years :) - you are a very bad liar.
If the intention of this site is to prevent people from going to Canada - they are paying you good.
3-4 years for permanent residence is fascism and it is against UN bill of human rights

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It can take 3-4 years but that is extreme. In most cases it takes less time than that. However, you will have to answer the questions newtone mentioned. If you married someone you knew for a very short time, immigration may believe it was a fake marriage set up with the purpose of you gaining PR. If they think that, it is your problem to prove them wrong and unless you can prove them wrong, there is no PR for you. You need to mail them with your application all proof you have of your relationship being genuine, how you met, how you fell in love, emails you wrote to each other, phone bills showing you phone each other, pictures of you together, proof of trips you have taken together, your joint lease, utilities, bank accounts and your life insurance policies listing each other as beneficiary or at least some of the above. If they think your story is fishy, they can call you for an interview which will delay your application. If you pass the interview, you will get your PR. If you fail, if you apply outland, you can appeal, inland you would have to apply again from scratch.

The processing time if all goes smooth also depends on if you apply inland or outland. If you apply inland, it is 10-11 months for your first stage approval which upon you could get an open work permit and another 9 months for PR. If you apply outland, it is 2 months in Mississauga in the beginning and then sent to your home country where the processing could take anywhere from 3 months to 2 years depending on which country it is and how fast your case is. An interview would delay your application less if you have applied outland. If you are inland and go to interview, it can delay your application by as much as 2-3 years.

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is so unfair,but I guess the government had to protect themselves and citizens if the number of false marriages was so high.
But in my case,this love and marriage are genuine and I feel bitter because I'll have to prove what I feel to persons who are nothing to me.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hauser said:
Since there is so many of you who really have good insight in this problematic,I'd like to have your opinion about my case:
I plan to apply for the visitor visa;I'm married,have a child , my own apartment and no job at all.I want to visit my friend in Canada and look what are my possibilities there before I decide will I apply for working permit,permanent resident or I'll just go back.
Tricky part is that I'll not be able to appear in Canada with much cash.

thank you for advice
Hauser, Is this your post from the temporary visitor forum?? As it appears to be from July 2011, I think you are going to have a tough time with proving a genuine relationship and/or avoiding a charge of misrepresentation when you arrived in Canada already married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AllisonVSC said:
Hauser, Is this your post from the temporary visitor forum?? As it appears to be from July 2011, I think you are going to have a tough time with proving a genuine relationship and/or avoiding a charge of misrepresentation when you arrived in Canada already married.
I looked through your older posts and completely agree with Allison. I hope you divorced before marrying in Canada, otherwise you can forget about getting PR.

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my my.. you are so strange.Instead of helping (which should be your mission here),except few members,you are even questioning my personal life.Are you insane enough to think that I am some bigamist ?
Some people have normal intentions.If you think that most of the people want to get to Canada to be on social welfare forever - there is something disturbing in your way of thinking.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We are trying to help you and explain to you in advance what will happen when your file is submitted - and how CIC officials will likely see your file.

Based on your past posts, you were married to a non-Canadian as of July 2011. Let's assuming that you divorced this individual and are now married to a Canadian. If so, then when your PR application is submitted, your quick re-marriage will be seen as a red flag by immigration officials. This means that they will examine your current relationship extremely closely to ensure it is genuine. To make sure officials see your relationship as genuine, you should submit as much proof as possible to prove this is a real relationship. This evidence could include: wedding pictures/bills/guest list/ etc., photos together from many different dates and places, proof of trips taken together (flight bookings, hotels, etc.), proof of communication (emails, calls, letters, etc.), proof that you have joined your assets (e.g. joint property ownership, joint bank accounts), and other things such as insurance policies, wills, letters from family/friends confirming the relationship is real.

If by any chance you were not fully divorced (e.g. only separated or divorce was still being processed) from your previous spouse when you married your Canadian spouse - then you should wait until you are fully divorced from your first spouse and then re-marry your Canadian spouse to ensure this marriage is valid in the eyes of Canadian immigration. And you must do this before you submit your PR application to prevent being refused.

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
and thank you for understanding,but let me be perfectly clear:
if nothing else,I am still a Christian and I cannot be married with two women at the same time.I mean...come on..do some people really do it !?
So,my question is - is there a possibility to get working permit before that 10-11 months ? If it is needed I will do everything possible to prove that my marriage is genuine.Are those people at CIC human beings ? I hope that they will not ask me to upload our honeymoon nights on you-tube ?
And once again : I don't have any idea of fraud of any kind.Isn't it obvious that I don't want to use any goverment aid when I need working permit so badly ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you plan to apply inland and want to be able to work before 10-11 months, then you will need to find an employer in Canada who is willing to hire you. That employer will then have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). As part of this process, the employer will have to prove that he was unable to find a Canadian to do the job and for this reason must hire you. If the LMO is approved, you will then be able to apply for a closed work permit (closed means that you can only work for that employer).

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you once again.
Is it sponsoring or it belongs to some other category ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hauser said:
thank you once again.
Is it sponsoring or it belongs to some other category ?
Getting an LMO has nothing to do with sponsorship. It is the same process as for any other person who wants to get a work permit. First secure a job. Employer applies for an LMO. If they get it, you can use it to apply for a work permit. If you get the work permit, you can work.