+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married few days before visitor extension approval letter

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
Hey,

My partner and I got married last week and I just got a visitor extension approval letter a few days ago, after we got married. We were wondering if we should update cic about this? If we notify cic how will it affect my approval? Will they reassess my approval? (in the initial application we did not mention anything about getting married)

We want to go to the border straight away when we receive the marriage certificate to obtain a SOWP. Will they look into my visitor record? And will it state my status as being 'single'?

Thanks in advance!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hey,

My partner and I got married last week and I just got a visitor extension approval letter a few days ago, after we got married. We were wondering if we should update cic about this? If we notify cic how will it affect my approval? Will they reassess my approval? (in the initial application we did not mention anything about getting married)

We want to go to the border straight away when we receive the marriage certificate to obtain a SOWP. Will they look into my visitor record? And will it state my status as being 'single'?

Thanks in advance!
You should have informed IRCC immediately after you got married. Any change in marital status must be informed if you have an active application. Nonetheless, you can inform IRCC even now.

No, your visitor extension won't be affected

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
You should have informed IRCC immediately after you got married. Any change in marital status must be informed if you have an active application. Nonetheless, you can inform IRCC even now.

No, your visitor extension won't be affected
We wanted to wait until we got our certificate. Should we add this as an explanation?
How will they update my extension - considering we soon want to go to the border for SOWP, do we need to wait till any update before going to the border or border officers wont look into my marital status on my visitor extension?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
We wanted to wait until we got our certificate. Should we add this as an explanation?
A marriage is a marriage regardless of the marriage certificate, The IRCC web form is provided to inform the visa office about any change in the marital status (among other points) during the processing of an application.

How will they update my extension - considering we soon want to go to the border for SOWP, do we need to wait till any update before going to the border or border officers wont look into my marital status on my visitor extension?
A SOWP is for a spouse, right? So if you ask for a SOWP/visitor record, the border officer would ask for proof that you are married.

BTW are you from a visa-exempt country?

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
A marriage is a marriage regardless of the marriage certificate, The IRCC web form is provided to inform the visa office about any change in the marital status (among other points) during the processing of an application.

A SOWP is for a spouse, right? So if you ask for a SOWP/visitor record, the border officer would ask for proof that you are married.

BTW are you from a visa-exempt country?
Yes, I'm from a visa exempt country. If I send the webform today, will there be any consequences seeing we got married a week ago

So if they update, wont they look into details of my application where I did not mention our wedding plans and did not mention our relationship?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, I'm from a visa exempt country. If I send the webform today, will there be any consequences seeing we got married a week ago

So if they update, wont they look into details of my application where I did not mention our wedding plans and did not mention our relationship?
You're overthinking. You need to inform IRCC about your change in marital status either now or before you go to the border. You can mention that you are waiting for the marriage certificate. IMO, your visitor extension will not be affected

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
You're overthinking. You need to inform IRCC about your change in marital status either now or before you go to the border. You can mention that you are waiting for the marriage certificate. IMO, your visitor extension will not be affected
Thank you for your replies! We will inform IRCC asap.