+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIED BUT CONSIDERED NOT ELIGIBLE TO SPONSOR WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Snr Believe

May 21, 2022
I AM MARRIED STAYING WITH MY WIFE WHO CAME WITH A SUMMER STUDENT VISA, we have a two-year-old child, and recently got a letter that advised me I will not be eligible to sponsor because of my ex-wife whom I sponsored previously.
- The undertaking for the previous sponsorship (with my ex and her child )was two years (i have this in writing from immigration that was 2016 in January.
- They claim also that I owe provincial money since my ex-wife accessed social services money from 2017 till 2020, (still need to confirm this as the ex-spouse was working, and doubt if she made any application?)
- Regardless of the circumstances of divorce that almost left me with mental health issues, the response says I am responsible for their financial situation even if they become citizens. I am the victim of abuse in this case and have lots of evidence (not sure what to do in this case?)
- Had adopted ex-wife child through customary marriage, but biological father of ex-wife child popped back in her life, what should I do?
The conservative law immigration law used to be 2 years of undertaking am not sure when this was changed by the liberals but do they just throw out the previous laws to make a ruling using the current laws, what is the impact of that in that case and what should I do
I am just really confused my wife has 30 days before they can toss her application as she will have no sponsor, what can she do in this case,
I have two step-children still overseas waiting to be reuniting with us please help urgently

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I AM MARRIED STAYING WITH MY WIFE WHO CAME WITH A SUMMER STUDENT VISA, we have a two-year-old child, and recently got a letter that advised me I will not be eligible to sponsor because of my ex-wife whom I sponsored previously.
- The undertaking for the previous sponsorship (with my ex and her child )was two years (i have this in writing from immigration that was 2016 in January.
- They claim also that I owe provincial money since my ex-wife accessed social services money from 2017 till 2020, (still need to confirm this as the ex-spouse was working, and doubt if she made any application?)
- Regardless of the circumstances of divorce that almost left me with mental health issues, the response says I am responsible for their financial situation even if they become citizens. I am the victim of abuse in this case and have lots of evidence (not sure what to do in this case?)
- Had adopted ex-wife child through customary marriage, but biological father of ex-wife child popped back in her life, what should I do?
The conservative law immigration law used to be 2 years of undertaking am not sure when this was changed by the liberals but do they just throw out the previous laws to make a ruling using the current laws, what is the impact of that in that case and what should I do
I am just really confused my wife has 30 days before they can toss her application as she will have no sponsor, what can she do in this case,
I have two step-children still overseas waiting to be reuniting with us please help urgently
Then wait until you have paid and off the hook.

In the meantime, if you want reunite your step children, try to get TRV for them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you received this letter then it means that the first spouse your sponsored took social assistance during the period where you were financially responsible for her. You have to pay this money back to the government in full before you can sponsor your new spouse.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BTW - You are mistaken in thinking that the obligation was 2 years under the conservatives. The obligation been 3 years for well over 15 years now.

Reactions: YVR123 and Jules105

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Just to reiterate The undertaking IN 2016 WAS 3 years. I know that personally. One year after coming here your ex took social assistance. There are stories all across this forum of employed spouses taking social assistance to get back at the sponor. You are responsible. Pay and move on.

Reactions: scylla

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
It looks like your financial undertaking duration would have been that prevailing in 2016. You also suggest that you adopted the child of your ex. So, your financial responsibility for your wife would have been 3 years and for the child it would be set at 10 years if under age 13, or to age 22 if age 13 to 19, and 3 years if over 19.

Here is my source for the foregoing:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1355&top=14

Notwithstanding the above, you say that you have it in writing from the IRCC that your obligation for both was limited to 2 years. I don't suppose you would care to post a screenshot of that writing here would you? With personal info redacted, of course. Some of us would wonder how and why would were given a special deal.

I am surprised that spousal sponsorship is 3 years only. Seems to me that when I sponsored my wife back in 2002 my undertaking was for 10 years. I could be wrong in that. I might still have something in writing from the IRCC on that score in a filing cabinet somewhere. Actually, I see nothing wrong with a 10-year requirement. Otherwise, it's not something to be taken too seriously.

You are right it was 10 years then people started complaining and now it's 3 years and they want 2 years. I agree that the undertaking definitely should help people to take it seriously but to me reading this forum not just this post but many others 3 years doesn't seem like long enough. People are just willingly signing a 3 year contract to be financially responsible for people they barely know and doing it every five or so years. Then the tax payer must foot the bill for their infatuation if the marriage doesn't work.

Reactions: YVR123