+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married and Pregnant

Mar 14, 2018
My Wife is pregnant and an (born) American Citizen. I'm a (born) Canadian Citizen.
I want to sponsor her to come to Canada, and she's 9 weeks pregnant. Is there anyway to get her here faster?
She's visited me for 6 months last year and as far as I know she can't come back for another year.
So now we're saving up for the thousand dollar application.

I have more questions on a notepad at home.. so I'll edit this thread later. I've also googled to no avail.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My Wife is pregnant and an (born) American Citizen. I'm a (born) Canadian Citizen.
I want to sponsor her to come to Canada, and she's 9 weeks pregnant. Is there anyway to get her here faster?
She's visited me for 6 months last year and as far as I know she can't come back for another year.

I have more questions on a notepad at home.. so I'll edit this thread later. I've also googled to no avail.
There is no rule stating that she can only visit six months within each year. However if and how long she is allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA - so she should make sure it doesn't look like she's trying to move here.

There is no expedited process for obtaining PR. She will have to apply just like anyone else. The fact she is pregnant won't give her preferential treatment.

The complication you face right now with sponsoring her for PR is that she must complete an x-ray as part of the medical (mandatory to be approved as a PR). Generally speaking, doctors recommend against getting an x-ray done while pregnant. She should speak with her doctor as soon as she can to discuss this. If she doesn't want to take the x-ray while pregnant, then it won't be possible to complete the PR process until after the baby is born.

Which province are you located in? Unless you are willing to pay for all cost related to her birth out of pocket, it's quite likely at this point that she will have to give birth in the U.S.

amandabear9

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
29-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-06-2018
Med's Request
11-10-2018
Med's Done....
20-11-2018

I am American and my husband is Canadian. She can come 6 month stay each time she comes with no limit on how many times she can cross in a year. I travelled for 14 years back and forth until i finally settled in canada in 2015 when i became pregnant.

Mar 14, 2018
There is no rule stating that she can only visit six months within each year. However if and how long she is allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA - so she should make sure it doesn't look like she's trying to move here.

There is no expedited process for obtaining PR. She will have to apply just like anyone else. The fact she is pregnant won't give her preferential treatment.

The complication you face right now with sponsoring her for PR is that she must complete an x-ray as part of the medical (mandatory to be approved as a PR). Generally speaking, doctors recommend against getting an x-ray done while pregnant. She should speak with her doctor as soon as she can to discuss this. If she doesn't want to take the x-ray while pregnant, then it won't be possible to complete the PR process until after the baby is born.

Which province are you located in? Unless you are willing to pay for all cost related to her birth out of pocket, it's quite likely at this point that she will have to give birth in the U.S.
Alberta.

God I was fearing the xray.. do you know how long on average an application takes?

Also.. her last 6 month visit was 2 months ago.. if she waited 4 to 5 months more would she be able to stay another 6 months?
I know it's dependant on the CBSA officer but does being pregnant hurt her chances?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Alberta.

God I was fearing the xray.. do you know how long on average an application takes?

Also.. her last 6 month visit was 2 months ago.. if she waited 4 to 5 months more would she be able to stay another 6 months?
I know it's dependant on the CBSA officer but does being pregnant hurt her chances?
Depends how you apply for PR. If she applies inland (from within Canada), processing time will be 12 months. If she applies outland, then she might be done in 6-8 months. Either way, an x-ray is mandatory in order to complete the application process. Have the two of you discussed this with your doctor yet to determine if you are comfortable doing the x-ray while she is pregnant or are going to wait until after she gives birth? If not, recommend you do this soon.

If she waits another few months before re-entering then she should be allowed in for the default six months. Of course it's always up to the CBSA officer. If she is visibly pregnant, it's possible that could complicate her entry - or it might not. Hard to say.

amandabear9

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
29-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-06-2018
Med's Request
11-10-2018
Med's Done....
20-11-2018
Alberta.

Don't worry about the xray i was pregnant at the time of mine my obgyn wrote a letter stating my due date and I presented it to my immigration doctor basically you can go back for the X-ray after she gives birth and the immigration doctor will give cic a deferral letter stating that you are pregnant and will return for x-ray once you giving birth. Only downside is that your file is on hold until the medical is completed. She can literally come back tomorrow if she wanted she does not have to wait. Once I just crossed over to New York for the day and night and came back the next day for another six months stay.

Mar 14, 2018
Hi. Thank you for all your replies!

I have a few more questions,
1. Where can I find resources for formatting my application? I don't want my paperwork to be a complete mess and get rejected
2. My wife (American Citizen I'm sponsoring) is pregnant. Will I have to declare our child as a dependant?
3. I was told that as soon as I start the application my Wife can fly over here and live with me as soon as possible. Is this true?

amandabear9

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
29-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-06-2018
Med's Request
11-10-2018
Med's Done....
20-11-2018

1. Where can I find resources for formatting my application? I don't want my paperwork to be a complete mess and get rejected.
Filling out online and printing would be my suggestion. Also having a file folder to add all proof of relationship helps.. there is a group on facebook that is very helpful for Canadian spousal sponship.
2. My wife (American Citizen I'm sponsoring) is pregnant. Will I have to declare our child as a dependant?
If the baby is bornhere in Canada they will not have to process the baby but once the baby is born you will have to send the baby's birth certificate.
3. I was told that as soon as I start the application my Wife can fly over here and live with me as soon as possible. Is this true?
You do not have to wait for your application to be started for her to fly over. Not sure exactly how you're filing being Outland or inland but if you file inland your wife cannot travel out of Canada until the process is over.

I highly suggest joining the Facebook group as it has been extremely helpful for myself and my Canadian husband.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. Where can I find resources for formatting my application? I don't want my paperwork to be a complete mess and get rejected
1. Follow the guide and checklist.

2. No. If the child is born before she lands as a PR, you just need to update IRCC of the birth.

3. No. Applying for PR does not give her the right to live in Canada. If she shows up at the border with all of her possessions and says she is moving before becoming a PR, she can expect a refusal of entry and possibly a one year Exclusion Order. Until she is a PR, she can enter as a visitor and should act as such.