File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got married before I landed in canada and immigration office did not inform me about informing cic about marriage. I assumed I got visa stamped before marriage therefore there is no need to inform anyone. Getting help from immigration lawyer hope is there anyway to get things right.
It wasn't the immigration officer's responsibility to notify you. It was your responsibility to do this. When you received your COPR / landing document - the letter that accompanied your COPR specifically stated that you were required to notify CIC of any changes to your family composition before landing.

It's quite unlikely an immigration lawyer will be able to help you - but you can certainly try.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
I got married before I landed in canada and immigration office did not inform me about informing cic about marriage. I assumed I got visa stamped before marriage therefore there is no need to inform anyone. Getting help from immigration lawyer hope is there anyway to get things right.
Your visa stamp does not yet make you a PR. Only once you've landed have you become a PR.

At some point in the process you will likely have received a letter or an e-mail that has similar wording to the one in this image: http://fphrc.hrlr.com/images/uci/example_b_1.png. Perhaps with your passport request?

It clearly spells out that you have to report and that it may have consequences for you; and will have consequences for those you didn't declare.

Even if you did not receive the letter or specific notice, it is your own responsibility to be aware of all the requirements, obligations and conditions laid upon you in your application for Permanent Residence.

To my knowledge there is no way around the fact that you will not be able to sponsor your wife. I am not a lawyer, so don't take anything I've said here as (legal) advice, but be prepared for the possibility that any legal counsel you do seek will tell you the same as what's been said here.

Reactions: ricky719play

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
It is not up to CIC to make sure you understand all of the rules. It is yours. It clearly states that you must inform CIC the minute your circumstances change. In other words as soon as you got married. Sorry to be blunt but lack of knowledge is not an excuse. CIC may take the view that you have misrepresented your case. When you handed over the COPR when you landed it was given to you as a single person. I am being blunt to let you know how serious this is. You had better get legal advise from a reputable source.

Reactions: evdm

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I got married after I received my visa and I was not aware that I have to inform visa office regarding my recent marriage and I landed in canada and informed immigration officer that I’m married now so will I able to sponsor my wife or will I have to reapply for my visa?
And what did the CBSA officer say when you told them this??

Regardless, if they processed your landing as "single" there is now no way to ever sponsor your husband to Canada, ever. If you really want to live with him you should look at renouncing your own PR status, moving back to your home country, then re-applying for PR from scratch again but this time properly including your husband in the app.

Or having him qualify to apply for PR completely on his own (through express entry, etc).

ricky719play

Jan 22, 2018
And what did the CBSA officer say when you told them this??

Regardless, if they processed your landing as "single" there is now no way to ever sponsor your husband to Canada, ever. If you really want to live with him you should look at renouncing your own PR status, moving back to your home country, then re-applying for PR from scratch again but this time properly including your husband in the app.

Or having him qualify to apply for PR completely on his own (through express entry, etc).
I informed the officer that i got married after i got my passport stamped he said ok n let me go. I made big mistake by not reading the documents carefully.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I informed the officer that i got married after i got my passport stamped he said ok n let me go. I made big mistake by not reading the documents carefully.
which officer did you inform? was it an officer from CBSA in the Canadian airport where you landed?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
There could be another solution is to remarry his wife and let them know before and after the marriage.

But what I will suggest him to do is contact Immigration explain the situation and then take a step rather than worrying.
remarrying will not be a solution

Reactions: scylla

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
The key words here are not informing the CBSA, the key words are the family member has to be examined, before the sponsor immigrated to Canada (landing). So, since your husband was never done the medical, background check and such, when the time you were landing, he will be excluded from your family member forever, on the ground of IRCC 177 (9) (d).

Reactions: scylla

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
He was cbsa officer.
CBSA officer should have told you the seriousness and consequences of landing as single when you were in fact married. But really lots of CBSA officers don't know all the rules around PR applications.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, as you were supposed to notify your visa office before you even did the PR landing.

If your spouse can qualify for PR independently, that would be the best option.
But if not, as mentioned if you want to live with your spouse and not be separated from them indefinitely, you should consider giving up your PR status and moving back to home country, and trying again to apply for PR.

Last edited:

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
I agree that you will never be able to sponsor his/her spouse and you have two options: get your spouse to apply for PR on her own OR renounce your PR and start over from scratch with your spouse added to the application. By the way, you are at risk of getting your PR revoked if you try to sponsor your spouse. Good Luck!

Manzana

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
I got married after I received my visa and I was not aware that I have to inform visa office regarding my recent marriage and I landed in canada and informed immigration officer that I’m married now so will I able to sponsor my wife or will I have to reapply for my visa?
Hi!
If I were you I would write IRCC a very detailed letter explaining the situation and hope for a good outcome. Do not waste money on legal advice.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
The immigration officer did not have to inform you about informing CIC. It's clearly stated in your COPR documents that you MUST inform CIC of any change to your family or marital status. It is up to YOU to do this, not to rely on the immigration officer to do your work for you.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
And this is why it’s always best to take advice from forums with a grain of salt! Probably one of the poorest suggestion I’ve ever seen.
There is a time for legal advice and this is one of them.