Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Here's a case that made it all the way to appeal and was very easily denied. Similar facts to what you describe:
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2017/2017canlii90055/2017canlii90055.html
A very straightforward case that should be shown to everyone in this situation.

In addition, IRCC can then start a new process to investigate the PR for their own misrepresentation.

Anyone in this situation can certainly consult with a lawyer, though should understand their situation beforehand. Any lawyer who indicates a good chance of success at appeals, is a horrible lawyer or one that is just looking to take your money (since they get paid whether you win or lose). A good lawyer will explain the predicament, the incredibly low to almost non-existent chance of success, and only take the case if the client insists.

Mercy2024

Apr 4, 2024
I am having same issue how did you go about this.. I was already in Canada before I got my pr as a student but didn’t know I have to inform cic of marriage .. the marriage was during my pr processing time

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am having same issue how did you go about this.. I was already in Canada before I got my pr as a student but didn’t know I have to inform cic of marriage .. the marriage was during my pr processing time
If you go back and check the correspondence you got from IRCC, I believe you will find that those letters and notifications all say something like this: "You must notify CIC [IRCC] of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
• Changes in your personal circumstances, such as birth or adoption of a child, a marriage or a divorce
."

By 'must', they mean that you are required to. Not optional, no excuses for not having read the correspondence sent to you.

Further, when you get the COPR (if abroad) or before receiving the eCOPR, there is a process to confirm the list of your dependents (with text like "Have you any dependents other than those listed below?") and request you to confirm (swear) that the information is true and complete. Eg on the COPR, it says "I hereby certify that the above statements are true and correct and that I fully understand the conditions imposed" (signature). If you have dependents not listed at the time you become a PR and you signed or confirmed by email, then you have misrepresented. Any dependents not listed cannot be sponsored.

Now - personal opinion only - I wish that IRCC would indicate in VERY LARGE BOLDED letters that any omission will mean that you will NEVER BE ABLE TO SPONSOR YOUR DEPENDENTS if you do not list them here and now. The consequences for missing that information, intentionally or not, are so severe that I think it would be better for them to make that very, very clear. But that is only my opinion.

But if you did not 'know' you have to inform CIC that you were married, you did not read the fairly straightforward language of the correspodnence you were sent and the affirmations that you swore and/or signed.

Last edited: