+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That makes me think, which PR category renders the applicant inadmissible if married?
To own my mistakes in this thread:
-I shouldn't have used 'inadmissible', that was unintentional, I was referring to selection under e.g. express entry.
-Including or not including a spouse can affect the points and hence selection (depending on the spouse's details such as language). BUT what I was under mistaken impression is that if spouse is non-accompanying, it seems it does not affect those calculations or have implications for selection. Mea culpa. (I don't know about other programs well)

However: I believe the application process still requires that one must declare marital status including common law relationships; not disclosing such (if and only if actually common law) would still be a misrepresentation.

But since common law non-accompanying doesn't impact selection (it seems), this may not be something of substance that examining officials would look at in detail...I don't know.

At any rate, at most only one of many factors, and if relationship situation is straightforward (as OP indicates), likely not an issue - in other words, I agree it's not a rare situation and not necessarily a concern for examining officers unless perhaps other aspects of application have red flags or other issues.

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
To own my mistakes in this thread:
-I shouldn't have used 'inadmissible', that was unintentional, I was referring to selection under e.g. express entry.
-Including or not including a spouse can affect the points and hence selection (depending on the spouse's details such as language). BUT what I was under mistaken impression is that if spouse is non-accompanying, it seems it does not affect those calculations or have implications for selection. Mea culpa. (I don't know about other programs well)

However: I believe the application process still requires that one must declare marital status including common law relationships; not disclosing such (if and only if actually common law) would still be a misrepresentation.

But since common law non-accompanying doesn't impact selection (it seems), this may not be something of substance that examining officials would look at in detail...I don't know.

At any rate, at most only one of many factors, and if relationship situation is straightforward (as OP indicates), likely not an issue - in other words, I agree it's not a rare situation and not necessarily a concern for examining officers unless perhaps other aspects of application have red flags or other issues.
No worries. I was just confused. Declaring the correct marital status goes without saying. At any rate, I did the same. Landed, got married and sponsored spouse

Reactions: jovi12

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That makes me think, which PR category renders the applicant inadmissible if married?
There is no specific PR category that renders an applicant inadmissible if married. Marrying someone who is medically or criminally inadmissible renders the Principal Applicant inadmissible as well.

ankar

Star Member
Jul 3, 2019
When changing tax filing status from single to married; does CRA ask for marriage certificate or take your word for it. As explained in my very first post on this thread, we were both PRs (applied seperately) and then went to India for a traditional hindu marriage. Experienced members point out that Hindu marriage is legal according to the law of the land (in India) and hence Canada would recognize this marriage. We plan to get our marriage certificate when we go to india next time, but that may be the end of the year. So just wanted to know from folks if that is something CRA asks about.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When changing tax filing status from single to married; does CRA ask for marriage certificate or take your word for it. As explained in my very first post on this thread, we were both PRs (applied seperately) and then went to India for a traditional hindu marriage. Experienced members point out that Hindu marriage is legal according to the law of the land (in India) and hence Canada would recognize this marriage. We plan to get our marriage certificate when we go to india next time, but that may be the end of the year. So just wanted to know from folks if that is something CRA asks about.
You definitely are married under CRA rules. My understanding is that they may ask for proof of this, but do not always do so.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/supporting-documents.html

The upside is that they do not seem to require the marriage certificate (after all, they also accept common law info). They may, possibly, accept documentation from your religious ceremony (that would not qualify as a marriage certificate for other purposes).

Reactions: ankar

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
They never asked me for proof when I updated with CRA after I got married. There may be some cases where they might ask if they feel like something shady is going on, but as a general rule they don’t seem to ask. They just took my details (Name, birthdate, date I got married, that sort of thing) and went from there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They don't ask for proof.