+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage

trick-r-treat

Jan 18, 2007
If you marry a Canadian citizen, does that automatically give you easier access to live in Canada? Is there a long waiting period?

pearlos

Apr 12, 2007
I need some insight on this question too.
I'm not 100% sure about it, although I assume so.
I moved to canada on a working holiday visa to live with my canadain boyfriend who I met in my home country, Australia.
My visa is up to expire, we have tried to apply for common-law status, but because I was still in Australia, (saving money for Canada) while he moved back home to Canada, apparantly there's a gap in our relationship status (even though we didnt break up) And common-law has a good chance of being rejected. We have lived together for over a year, but because It was between two different countries, aparantly that gap of 2 months isn't acceptable. :( Is marriage the best way to go about this? We wanted to wait a few years, But If it's neccesary now, we will follow through with it. Can anyone help me please?

I would really appreciate the help, seeing the Immigration CIC site doesn't directly answer my questions. :)

Pearl.

Magik

Mar 29, 2007
Sorry but no, it doesn't. I've been married to a canadian since nov, 2003. I moved to Canada in june of 2003 and I'm still a "vistor". We thought that after we were married I would be able to get citizenship pretty quickly, but when I called CIC I was told that be married to a canadian didn't matter. I'm not trying to sound negative but it is a long road. In the end if you really love each other it is worth it. I hope all goes well for you.

pearlos

Apr 12, 2007
wow, thank you.

In the end our immigration lawyer suggested we apply for a visitors visa for 6 months, and by that time, there will be legitimate evidence to supprt our common law case. It's such a shame about all of this immigration fuss, but I understand that It's somewhat neccesary. Thank you for your help, I appreciate the reply. Good luck to both of us.. and yes I think he's worth it. :)

visaseeker

May 23, 2007
Similar question - my boyfriend and I are looking at immigrating to Canada. His opinion is that it is easier to get PR/citizenship if we go separately and apply separately and marry once we are in Canada, which I find difficult to believe. Does anybody know whether there is any truth in that? I would have thought that Canada would accept a married couple easier. Or does it make no difference? I would really appreciate some opinions on this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

visaseeker said:
Similar question - my boyfriend and I are looking at immigrating to Canada. His opinion is that it is easier to get PR/citizenship if we go separately and apply separately and marry once we are in Canada, which I find difficult to believe. Does anybody know whether there is any truth in that? I would have thought that Canada would accept a married couple easier. Or does it make no difference? I would really appreciate some opinions on this.
Actually as a married c/law couple the principle applicant can up to 10 additional points for adaptability for the spouses education/relatives/work. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-5.html

PMM