+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage with a refugee claimant

cosmix

Sep 10, 2020
Hello everyone,
I need to get information regarding the marriage process with a refugee claimant. My close friend claimed refugee and he is waiting for his appeal day, in that mean time his girlfriend is coming from turkey next week with a tourist visa. Her visa is is issued for 1 month and they plan to get married in that 1 month period. So my questions are;
1- How long does it take to get marriage licence?
2- Can they get married while waiting to obtain the licence?
3- If they have to wait until getting the licence, what happens if her visa expires in that period?
4- If everything goes well and they get married without an issue can he add wife's name to his case?

I know i asked a lot but i couldn't find proper information anywhere. I would highly appreciate if you can assist me. Thank you in advance! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
I need to get information regarding the marriage process with a refugee claimant. My close friend claimed refugee and he is waiting for his appeal day, in that mean time his girlfriend is coming from turkey next week with a tourist visa. Her visa is is issued for 1 month and they plan to get married in that 1 month period. So my questions are;
1- How long does it take to get marriage licence?
2- Can they get married while waiting to obtain the licence?
3- If they have to wait until getting the licence, what happens if her visa expires in that period?
4- If everything goes well and they get married without an issue can he add wife's name to his case?

I know i asked a lot but i couldn't find proper information anywhere. I would highly appreciate if you can assist me. Thank you in advance! :)
Does his girlfriend have immediate family in Canada such as parents?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No she doesn't have anyone here.
She isn't going to be able to board a plane until the travel restrictions have been lifted in that case. Right now they are in place until the latter part of September however I think it's going to be extremely likely they will be extended further.

Make sure she doesn't buy a plane ticket until the travel restrictions have been lifted. If she tries now, she will be refused boarding since her travel will be deemed non-essential.

cosmix

Sep 10, 2020
She isn't going to be able to board a plane until the travel restrictions have been lifted in that case. Right now they are in place until the latter part of September however I think it's going to be extremely likely they will be extended further.

Make sure she doesn't buy a plane ticket until the travel restrictions have been lifted. If she tries now, she will be refused boarding since her travel will be deemed non-essential.
You are absolutely right! We could not think of this :/ thank you :)
But let's say she tried again on early 2021 and able to come in, can you help me with the questions? :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are absolutely right! We could not think of this :/ thank you :)
But let's say she tried again on early 2021 and able to come in, can you help me with the questions? :)
1- I don't know current processing times to get a marriage licence. They will need to research this based on the city where they plan to get married.
2- No. They need a marriage licence to get married legally.
3- She would need to apply to extend the length of her stay.
4- I can't confirm this but I'm sure someone else will comment. I don't know if you can add a spouse mid appeal.

cosmix

Sep 10, 2020
1- I don't know current processing times to get a marriage licence. They will need to research this based on the city where they plan to get married.
2- No. They need a marriage licence to get married legally.
3- She would need to apply to extend the length of her stay.
4- I can't confirm this but I'm sure someone else will comment. I don't know if you can add a spouse mid appeal.
Thank you :)

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
If your friend is in appeal why does he need to marry another nonresident just have it in mind if his appeal is not approve both of them will be stuck.

cosmix

Sep 10, 2020
If your friend is in appeal why does he need to marry another nonresident just have it in mind if his appeal is not approve both of them will be stuck.
He doesn't want to marry to stay in Canada, he wants to marry her cause they simply love each other and back home their families do not approve their marriage. This is one of the reasons my friend came here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He doesn't want to marry to stay in Canada, he wants to marry her cause they simply love each other and back home their families do not approve their marriage. This is one of the reasons my friend came here.
The woman can try to extend her visitor status if she is able to get to Canada and get married but may need to return to Turkey if she is denied an extension. It would be a very bad idea for her to overstay if her husband does not have guaranteed status in Canada.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
The woman can try to extend her visitor status if she is able to get to Canada and get married but may need to return to Turkey if she is denied an extension. It would be a very bad idea for her to overstay if her husband does not have guaranteed status in Canada.
mmmm, refugee claim failed ->appeal ->It may be allowed, may not be allowed
backup plan ->get married -> overstay or not, it does not matter, let's have a baby -> H&Con the way
It does not necessarily apply to the OP or OP's friend, but obviously, a lot fake refugee cases ran this route, aren't they?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
mmmm, refugee claim failed ->appeal ->It may be allowed, may not be allowed
backup plan ->get married -> overstay or not, it does not matter, let's have a baby -> H&Con the way
It does not necessarily apply to the OP or OP's friend, but obviously, a lot fake refugee cases ran this route, aren't they?
The gf has no status in Canada so won’t impact his application. I think the goal is to try to have the gf stay in Canada which may be very difficult.