+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage While On TRV - Thoughts? Options?

Nate Gee

May 23, 2017
So after myself and my girlfriend were pleasantly surprised by the approval of our TRV (passport submission only thing remaining, fingers crossed!) we have started weighing our options as towards getting married while I am visiting her in Canada.

I will be visiting her for around 6 weeks in order to meet the family, help her get settled into her new town for Uni and we will also be seeing sights and camping together.

I am a little confused about the process, our options and what we can expect however, since there is so much information out there and a lot of it is difficult to verify.

- I already stated in my reasons to visit that I was going to meet her family and we are going to travel a bit together, which we will do. I just hope that getting married fairly soon after we arrive doesn't raise red flags. The Canadian side of things seem to be a big fan of labeling things as 'misrepresentation' these days.

- After we are married, we plan to start work on my spousal PR visa. Apparently we can extend (my visit is for 6 weeks, and it sounds like a crapshoot as to whether it will be granted for longer at the border) but what would our reasons be? If I only have, say, 2 weeks remaining at that point will it be sufficient time to renew? I read about something called implied status but I do not fully understand it.

- Inland vs Outland? Most people say that outland is far better even if you are living in Canada, as you can appeal if something goes wrong. We have sufficient joint savings to ride out the wait and we do not want to be separated unduly. My concern is that I will need to travel back to my country for the interview, which is fairly expensive and rather distant.

- Neither of us are fans of big, exorbitant ceremonies and so we would prefer a small civil service with her family and priest. Apparently a big wedding is an important proof of relationship though?

- Regarding proofs we have: a large quantity of photographs of us doing various things together, our recent travels and such, as well as receipts etc. We also have a massive amount of email correspondence, as we chat daily while at work.
We have lived together for around 5 months, although the rent is in my name, and we do not have any joint accounts as of this point.
We can supply statements from some friends and family members as to the veracity of our relationship. However we have tried to keep it private as we are coworkers and gossip in our working community is extremely toxic and prevalent.
Is there anything else we could provide as bona fides?

- Is there anything else I am not thinking of that could sour the deal?