+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIAGE (Visitor Visa)

marmor

Feb 9, 2019
Hi,

I understand that it’s possible to marry on a Visitor Visa? If so, what would be the process in obtaining the proper documents, once my partner is here? and how long can it take? I’m a Canadian Citizen, leaving in Alberta.

One can stay for 6 months on a Visitor visa, (provided that their passport isn’t stamped to leave by a certain date), and are considered for both single and multi-entry visa, when they apply?

I appreciate your time, have a great day.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I understand that it’s possible to marry on a Visitor Visa? If so, what would be the process in obtaining the proper documents, once my partner is here? and how long can it take? I’m a Canadian Citizen, leaving in Alberta.

One can stay for 6 months on a Visitor visa, (provided that their passport isn’t stamped to leave by a certain date), and are considered for both single and multi-entry visa, when they apply?

Google marriage requirements in Alberta.

Yes.

marmor

Feb 9, 2019
Are you asking about spousal sponsorship?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

For visitor Visa, yes if no stamp on passport an individual can stay up to 6 months. If the stay is past 6 months, you can request a visitor extension from inside Canada.
No, not spousal sponsorship. (Unless it’s considered that). Once you marry on a visitor visa, what would be the process, as I don’t want them to overstay their visa, if it takes longer.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi,

No, not spousal sponsorship. (Unless it’s considered that). Once you marry on a visitor visa, what would be the process, as I don’t want them to overstay their visa, if it takes longer.
It's not entirely clear what you are asking, which is why you're getting different answers. "Proper documents" for what? Marriage? Or status in Canada?

It's also possible to stay for more than 6 months in Canada, by applying for an extension of visitor status.

marmor

Feb 9, 2019
It's not entirely clear what you are asking, which is why you're getting different answers. "Proper documents" for what? Marriage? Or status in Canada?

It's also possible to stay for more than 6 months in Canada, by applying for an extension of visitor status.
Marriage, so that the person can stay in Canada and apply for “Permanent Resedency.” The other option would be through a “Work Permit”, which is not an option in this case.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Marriage, so that the person can stay in Canada and apply for “Permanent Resedency.” The other option would be through a “Work Permit”, which is not an option in this case.
Both answers already given by canuck in uk and andy keeling were actually correct.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your to be spouse comes to Canada on a visitor visa or as a visa exempt. Note there is no special visa category to enter Canada to get married such as a fiancé visa.

You follow the process to get married in Alberta as below link, what documents are required for a marriage clearly explained. How long to get a licence you would need to contact the authorities/registry agent who issue licences.

https://www.alberta.ca/getting-married.aspx

https://www.alberta.ca/get-marriage-licence.aspx#1114501

Once married you submit an inland spouse sponsorship application which provides your new spouse with a work permit option , that takes about 4 months, that they can use or not but allows them to stay until PR is finalised in average upto 12 months.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

Cannot be clearer and as said in earlier replies above if arriving as a visitor then there is a process to extend stay greater than how ever any months are granted on entry. Whilst an extension is in process the applicant is in implied status pending a decision.

If you do not want to sponsor your spouse immediately and they intend to come and go as a visitor there is not any 100 percent guarantee of getting a single or multiple entry visit visa plus even if married to a Canadian PR or citizen still no guarantee of entry as a visitor.

Having said all above maybe I too have misunderstood what you are asking.

Last edited:

vv91

Apr 3, 2019
Your to be spouse comes to Canada on a visitor visa or as a visa exempt. Note there is no special visa category to enter Canada to get married such as a fiancé visa.

You follow the process to get married in Alberta as below link, what documents are required for a marriage clearly explained. How long to get a licence you would need to contact the authorities/registry agent who issue licences.

https://www.alberta.ca/getting-married.aspx

https://www.alberta.ca/get-marriage-licence.aspx#1114501

Once married you submit an inland spouse sponsorship application which provides your new spouse with a work permit option , that takes about 4 months, that they can use or not but allows them to stay until PR is finalised in average upto 12 months.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

Cannot be clearer and as said in earlier replies above if arriving as a visitor then there is a process to extend stay greater than how ever any months are granted on entry. Whilst an extension is in process the applicant is in implied status pending a decision.

If you do not want to sponsor your spouse immediately and they intend to come and go as a visitor there is not any 100 percent guarantee of getting a single or multiple entry visit visa plus even if married to a Canadian PR or citizen still no guarantee of entry as a visitor.

Having said all above maybe I too have misunderstood what you are asking.
\

Hi,
I'd like to request your advice for my situation.
I'm a permanent resident of CA residing in Ontario.

I've been in a relationship with someone for the past 10 years. He is currently residing in Dubai.
Where we come from, we belong to different religions and have some problems in convincing both families for the marriage. So we would like to register the marriage in CA and apply for spousal sponsorship to help him get to CA as soon as possible.

I've some queries for you.
1. Is it possible to get him to CA with a TRV and register the marriage here?
2. Is it mandatory to add spouse details to my passport, inorder to apply for spousal sponsorship?
3. Can we expedite the process of sponsoring him by registering the marriage in CA?
4. Do I need a job in CA to sponsor him? (I'm currently hunting)
5. I'm waiting to receive my PR Card as I'm a new immigrant. Do I need the PR card to get the marriage licence?
6. Is getting married in our home country a better idea to apply for the sponsorship? We are currently exploring possibilities of doing it in CA with reference to some of the points stated above.
7. What are the chances of having him stay back in CA after registering the marriage? I meant work permit, inland spouse sponsorship, etc

I'd be grateful if you could provide information for my queries.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
vv91

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
\

Hi,
I'd like to request your advice for my situation.
I'm a permanent resident of CA residing in Ontario.

I've been in a relationship with someone for the past 10 years. He is currently residing in Dubai.
Where we come from, we belong to different religions and have some problems in convincing both families for the marriage. So we would like to register the marriage in CA and apply for spousal sponsorship to help him get to CA as soon as possible.

I've some queries for you.
1. Is it possible to get him to CA with a TRV and register the marriage here?
2. Is it mandatory to add spouse details to my passport, inorder to apply for spousal sponsorship?
3. Can we expedite the process of sponsoring him by registering the marriage in CA?
4. Do I need a job in CA to sponsor him? (I'm currently hunting)
5. I'm waiting to receive my PR Card as I'm a new immigrant. Do I need the PR card to get the marriage licence?
6. Is getting married in our home country a better idea to apply for the sponsorship? We are currently exploring possibilities of doing it in CA with reference to some of the points stated above.
7. What are the chances of having him stay back in CA after registering the marriage? I meant work permit, inland spouse sponsorship, etc

I'd be grateful if you could provide information for my queries.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
vv91
1. He can apply for a TRV but no guarantee of approval.

2. No.

3. No.

4. You don't need a job but you need to be able to show how you will support yourselves in Canada without welfare.

5. No.

6. It doesn't matter where you get married as long as it is legal.

7. Provided he can get a TRV in the first place, there should be no issue remaining in Canada while the app processes.

vv91

Apr 3, 2019
1. He can apply for a TRV but no guarantee of approval.

2. No.

3. No.

4. You don't need a job but you need to be able to show how you will support yourselves in Canada without welfare.

5. No.

6. It doesn't matter where you get married as long as it is legal.

7. Provided he can get a TRV in the first place, there should be no issue remaining in Canada while the app processes.
Thank you!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Quick note on the legality of the marriage - it needs to be legal both in the country where it was performed, as well as in Canada.

The classic examples -

1. Same-sex marriage is legal in Canada, but illegal in many countries. If a same-sex couple gets married in a country where it's illegal (say they do a private ceremony or whatever), it will not count as a marriage.
2. Many Islamic countries recognize polygamy (men can have multiple wives) but this is illegal in Canada. If a man is already married and then marries again (without divorcing his first wife), it may be legal in his country, but it will not count as a marriage in Canada.

Apr 12, 2019
Hello,
Does anyone here could help me what are the Requirements to get my husband to come with me here in CA.
As I am a Post Graduate Work Permit holder.
Please shed some experience.
Thank you.