+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage to Canadian Citizen

reliable123

May 22, 2013
Dear Sirs/Madams,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!! I have questions as below:
1) You said "He can marry you anywhere in the world, as long as it is recognized by Canada"----I am from Hong Kong and suppose he marry me in Hong Kong and has marriage certificate in Hong Kong, so can he bring me to Canada with him after marriage in Hong Kong right the way?

2) Is the Hong Kong marriage certificate recognized by Canada?

2) Or do I need to wait for certain time period for visa to enter Canada after marriage in Hong Kong? Usually how long does it take to wait for this type of visa? What is the name of that type of visa?

3) Once I get married with him, I think I will have conditional green card (similar to US). And if I have this conditional Canada green card, is it OK for me to work in US in daytime and back to Canada to live in night time everyday???----because he lives in Vancouver, BC and I wonder is it OK for me to work in Seattle in Washington in US in day time and back to Vancouver, BC to live at night time everyday??? If that is OK, so will I lose conditional Canada green card status or will it affect my future application of Canada green card?

Thanks a lot!!

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
reliable123 said:
1) You said "He can marry you anywhere in the world, as long as it is recognized by Canada"----I am from Hong Kong and suppose he marry me in Hong Kong and has marriage certificate in Hong Kong, so can he bring me to Canada with him after marriage in Hong Kong right the way?
You mentioned that you hold passport that does not require you to have a visa to enter Canada. If you want to come to Canada right away after marriage, you would be using this facility (no visa required because of your passport) to enter Canada and not because you are married to a Canadian citizen. This visit would be a temporary visit and you should be able to prove to the immigration officials (at the Canadian airport) that you intend to leave Canada after the duration of the stay allowed by immigration officials.

reliable123 said:
2) Is the Hong Kong marriage certificate recognized by Canada?
Any marriage that is recognised by the country where the marriage took place is recognised by Canada. So, yes, Hong Kong marriage certificate is recognised by Canada. If the certificate is not in English or French, you may have to get it translated and notarised for it to be accepted.

reliable123 said:
2) Or do I need to wait for certain time period for visa to enter Canada after marriage in Hong Kong? Usually how long does it take to wait for this type of visa? What is the name of that type of visa?
To stay permanently in Canada - as a spouse of Canadian citizen (or resident), it is a two step process.
First, your spouse should be approved as your sponsor (this stage takes about 2 months), then in the second stage, you should be approved for permanent residency. You have to prove who you are (birth certificates etc), that your marriage to the Canadian citizen is genuine (marriage certificate, pictures etc, etc, etc). This stage takes anywhere between a year or two.
As for the name of this type of visa...Its a Permanent Resident visa under Spousal Sponsorship program (though it can be used only once - the first time you enter Canada, but that's a different story altogether)

reliable123 said:
3) Once I get married with him, I think I will have conditional green card (similar to US). And if I have this conditional Canada green card, is it OK for me to work in US in daytime and back to Canada to live in night time everyday???----because he lives in Vancouver, BC and I wonder is it OK for me to work in Seattle in Washington in US in day time and back to Vancouver, BC to live at night time everyday??? If that is OK, so will I lose conditional Canada green card status or will it affect my future application of Canada green card?
To work in US, you need to have a separate work visa from US. Having Canadian PR does not automatically allow you to work in US. If you are authorised to work in the US, you can commute to work in the US and stay in Canada (provided you have a PR). This would not affect your Canadian PR status. However, if you stay in the US (or anywhere outside Canada), that may affect you PR status.