+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage & Student Visa

Adivfreelance

Jun 23, 2021
Hi there,

I am a resident of India. I am applying for a student visa for September Intake. Already got accepted by a DLI and submitted GIC as well. (though my education gap was 9 years. I got acceptance by some colleges in Toronto. My fiance is based in Toronto, Canada. He is a PR holder. Now, we are planning to get married in India before I move to Canada so, will that be a problem? We were thinking about August so that he can travel to India and then once I get the visa approval, we can move back together. Due to covid, right now the flights are banned so he can book the flights after July 21st only. I am really concerned about my gap in education and then if my status changes before moving to Canada. Will that be a problem? Please suggest. Another query, if we get married in India before landing in Canada, will our marriage be legal in Canada, and can I apply for spouse PR once I land in Canada as a student?

ccnnaik

Apr 11, 2017
Hi there,

I am a resident of India. I am applying for a student visa for September Intake. Already got accepted by a DLI and submitted GIC as well. (though my education gap was 9 years. I got acceptance by some colleges in Toronto. My fiance is based in Toronto, Canada. He is a PR holder. Now, we are planning to get married in India before I move to Canada so, will that be a problem? We were thinking about August so that he can travel to India and then once I get the visa approval, we can move back together. Due to covid, right now the flights are banned so he can book the flights after July 21st only. I am really concerned about my gap in education and then if my status changes before moving to Canada. Will that be a problem? Please suggest. Another query, if we get married in India before landing in Canada, will our marriage be legal in Canada, and can I apply for spouse PR once I land in Canada as a student?
I have pretty much the same query. However, to answer some of the query. Your marriage will be deemed legal in Canada. And yes you can sponsor your wife in Canada even though she is a student

I have the same query on same lines .

Posting dummy dates below for clarity:
Student Visa : Approved and Received Nov 1, 2021
Wedding : Nov 21, 2021
College starts: Jan 10, 2022

Now, before boarding or arriving to Canada (i.e. After 10th dec ,since we can travel not more than 4 weeks before the program start date ) , do we have to intimate IRCC about change in marital status before landing to Canada ? If yes, How?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to update your status to IRCC and change from single to married if you get married before landing in Canada. You will also need to provide information about your spouse and their status in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have pretty much the same query. However, to answer some of the query. Your marriage will be deemed legal in Canada. And yes you can sponsor your wife in Canada even though she is a student

I have the same query on same lines .

Posting dummy dates below for clarity:
Student Visa : Approved and Received Nov 1, 2021
Wedding : Nov 21, 2021
College starts: Jan 10, 2022

Now, before boarding or arriving to Canada (i.e. After 10th dec ,since we can travel not more than 4 weeks before the program start date ) , do we have to intimate IRCC about change in marital status before landing to Canada ? If yes, How?
Yes. Send in a Webform indicating that you are now married. Who is your spouse, their nationality and their status in Canada.

Jinit

Jan 4, 2019
Yes. Send in a Webform indicating that you are now married. Who is your spouse, their nationality and their status in Canada.
Hi, my husband is in canada. We married after his visa received but before his passport got stamped. But unfortunately, he forgot to change his Marital Status from single to married in 4 months. So now how can he change his status?? Beacuse we wish to apply for sowp.