+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage requirements for Visa

Aug 24, 2017
Hi everyone,
My partner lives in the US. We are planning on having her move here in September. We looked at the family class applications and since we have been together for 4 years already, and other considerations want to put in an in-land application for spousal sponsorship. I qualify under the regulations to sponsor her.
We are currently not married but would do so in September.

The concern is that I am getting conflicting information. Do we need to be legally married is the US and Canada for the sponsorship application or can we just get married in Canada once she moves?

Thank you

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
My husband is dominican and we got married here in canada legally - no issues at all. Lots of people do it!!

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hi everyone,
My partner lives in the US. We are planning on having her move here in September. We looked at the family class applications and since we have been together for 4 years already, and other considerations want to put in an in-land application for spousal sponsorship. I qualify under the regulations to sponsor her.
We are currently not married but would do so in September.

The concern is that I am getting conflicting information. Do we need to be legally married is the US and Canada for the sponsorship application or can we just get married in Canada once she moves?

Thank you
If you have lived together for 12 months or more as a couple, you can apply now (Outland, as you are not both in Canada), or wait until she is visiting you in Canada then apply inland (which is historically slower). If you have not lived together for that long, you will need to wait until you are married.

She cannot 'move' to Canada until after sponsorship is complete, though she can have an extended visit with you.

Aug 24, 2017
If you have lived together for 12 months or more as a couple, you can apply now (Outland, as you are not both in Canada), or wait until she is visiting you in Canada then apply inland (which is historically slower). If you have not lived together for that long, you will need to wait until you are married.

She cannot 'move' to Canada until after sponsorship is complete, though she can have an extended visit with you.
We are both in Canada and getting married. The question is whether we need to be married legally in both US and Canada to apply for in-land sponsorship

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
We are both in Canada and getting married. The question is whether we need to be married legally in both US and Canada to apply for in-land sponsorship
(you said she lives in the US - it's easier to give advice if you're consistent). As I said, if you have lived together for over a year, you do not need to be married. If you have not, then you do.

Aug 24, 2017
(you said she lives in the US - it's easier to give advice if you're consistent). As I said, if you have lived together for over a year, you do not need to be married. If you have not, then you do.
I tried to clarify because your response didn't not answer my question. I only have one question: Do we need to be married in both the US and Canada or is being married only in Canada sufficent?

Our decision on spousal sponsorship is already settled.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I tried to clarify because your response didn't not answer my question. I only have one question: Do we need to be married in both the US and Canada or is being married only in Canada sufficent?

Our decision on spousal sponsorship is already settled.
Is it even possible to get legally married in both? (as opposed to legally married in one, and an informal ceremony in the other). It's certainly not necessary.

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
If you get married in Canada, you'll be married anywhere in the world as long as the marriage goes according to the laws of the other country. If you get married in the US and your marriage isn't a weird one, (you can look this up on the internet to know specifically which cases, like if you were already married to someone else or something like that), your marriage will be recognized in Canada. My wife is Canadian, we got married in Colombia, the marriage is legal here and in Canada and in the rest of the world where it fits the laws of the specific country. We do not even need to register our marriage in Canada, it would be already valid there. So the answer to your question is, you can get married in either of those countries, either one would work

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
you don't need to get married in the US, just to demonstrate your are being for more than 12 months, if you got married in Canada is a plus

Aug 24, 2017
Is it even possible to get legally married in both? (as opposed to legally married in one, and an informal ceremony in the other). It's certainly not necessary.

I didn't think of that. I was under the impression you have to declare it like baggage :rolleyes:

Aug 24, 2017
If you get married in Canada, you'll be married anywhere in the world as long as the marriage goes according to the laws of the other country. If you get married in the US and your marriage isn't a weird one, (you can look this up on the internet to know specifically which cases, like if you were already married to someone else or something like that), your marriage will be recognized in Canada. My wife is Canadian, we got married in Colombia, the marriage is legal here and in Canada and in the rest of the world where it fits the laws of the specific country. We do not even need to register our marriage in Canada, it would be already valid there. So the answer to your question is, you can get married in either of those countries, either one would work
Thanks thanks. That explains a lot! Makes it easier for upcoming planning too!!