+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage post receiving COPR with a person who has their own COPR!

nitin.janagam

Apr 15, 2021
Hello All,

I received my COPR this year and my marriage is fixed with a person who is also in a similar stage (she received her single applicant COPR this year as well). We currently live in the U.S and we intend to do a soft landing post-marriage.

Question - How does this affect our COPR? Considering both of us have our respective single-applicant COPRs, will the marriage affect our situation? What are the steps that need to be taken?

Thanks.

andreiger

Star Member
Apr 29, 2019
Netherlands
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2019
Anybody?

I would really appreciate some insight on this guys :)
I would recommend, land, finish your PR processes, and get married afterwards.

Getting married before will screw up your current CoPRs, you'll have to do some new documents and then wait again (I'm already in that wait for 8 months+) - don't be like me.

nitin.janagam

Apr 15, 2021
I would recommend, land, finish your PR processes, and get married afterwards.

Getting married before will screw up your current CoPRs, you'll have to do some new documents and then wait again (I'm already in that wait for 8 months+) - don't be like me.
Thank you for the reply @andreiger

Could you throw some light on the documents required and how it is going to affect?

I’m afraid it’s too late to make changes to the wedding plans. My perception was that since both of us have our individual COPRs, it should not impact. Was I wrong?

andreiger

Star Member
Apr 29, 2019
Netherlands
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2019
Well, your marital status will change, for both of you, and you will have to declare that from what I know.
But your situation is different though since both of you have separate applications, so there's a chance I'm totally wrong.
I strongly advice, booking a couple of appointments with an immigration lawyer or something. Don't fk up your applications and then wait again for months and months like me :( (you can see my entire charade in the signature)

These are the forms I had to submit:

1. Processing fee and Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) for your spouse or CLP
2. A recent photograph of your spouse or common-law partner (CLP) The photograph must be taken accordingly to our specifications
3. Forms
  • Updated Generic Application Form for Canada IMM 0008 for yourself and your spouse or common-law partner (CLP);
  • Updated Additional Family Information Form IMM 5406 for yourself and your spouse or common-law partner (CLP);
  • A completed and signed by your spouse or common-law partner (CLP)Schedule A Background/ Declaration IMM 5669;
  • Supplementary Information Your Travels form IMM5562 E for your spouse or common-law partner (CLP);
  • If applicable: A completed and signed IMM4509 Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union.
4. Documents
  • Copy of your spouse’s or CLP’s birth certificate;
  • Copy of your spouse’s or CLP’s valid passport;
  • If applicable: Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • If your spouse or CLP was previously married, copy of their divorce certificate
5. Police certificate (shouldn't be the case for you)
6. Please provide a completed Principal Applicant Relationship Assessment Questionnaire & Spouse Relationship Assessment Questionnaire (attached).
7. Evidence of the relationship between you and your spouse, such as: - Relationship photos: Wedding photographs depicting all the rituals of a traditional wedding, wedding reception and post wedding photographs, commitment ceremony photos from outings together trips, honeymoon, etc. (10–15 photos max); - If you are living together, evidence such as copy of bills, bank statements, lease agreement, drivers licenses showing your names and address (10–15 pages max).
8. Medical certificate (shouldn't be the case for you)