+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage post PRTD, next steps?

Az85

Sep 29, 2019
I recently received my PRTD and CoPR, am in India. I'm getting married next month and have following questions.
1. The documents say I can't land post marriage without getting the PR application approved for my wife too. Apparently that's again a long process and am skeptical to keep my PR status hanging just because of that. Is it a good idea if I land in Canada to get PR activated before marriage and fly back next day? I can give a friend's address for mailing the PR card. I can then start application for wife post marriage.
2. If not, should I not worry too much about it and follow the normal course of action post marriage?

Please help me by replying urgently since I'll have to fly in next 2 weeks if I decide to do so.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but Only issue with doing a soft landing as single then returning home to get married would be that you cannot as a PR sponsor your spouse from outside of Canada.

Minor point but a PRTD is issued to someone who is already a PR when they do not have a PR card so that they can board a plane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Az85

Az85

Sep 29, 2019
Others can comment as well but Only issue with doing a soft landing as single then returning home to get married would be that you cannot as a PR sponsor your spouse from outside of Canada.

Minor point but a PRTD is issued to someone who is already a PR when they do not have a PR card so that they can board a plane.
Thanks a lot. I also think that applying for PRTD and CoPR for both of us after the marriage, and then traveling, would be a better option. From what I know after the research I've done, I'll only require my wife's PCC, medical, and security checks for her processing. Let me know if someone thinks this is wrong.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
If you decide to come together, your CRS score will be recalculated and will include the assessment your wife’s skills - IELTS/TEF, work experience, education etc.

it is possible that with wife included your CRS will fall below the cut off for your Express Entry round. In that case your application will be rejected and you won’t get PR

Elge

Sep 16, 2018
Nigeria
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
AOR Received.
23-02-2018
File Transfer...
15-03-2018
If you decide to come together, your CRS score will be recalculated and will include the assessment your wife’s skills - IELTS/TEF, work experience, education etc.

it is possible that with wife included your CRS will fall below the cut off for your Express Entry round. In that case your application will be rejected and you won’t get PR

This is actually incorrect. He already has his COPR. All that will be required at this point is PCC, Medicals, and Funds that covers the spouse.