+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Outside Canada as a Refugee help

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
Hi guys i hope you can give me your opinion about my particular case

I am currently a Protected Person i left my girlfriend in my home country (Venezuela) due to my situation. We have been in a relationship for about 4 years, i have been in Canada one year. My girlfriend applied for a visitor Visa and as expected it was denied. I applied for my PR in March this year 2018. So I was thinking if it is possible to get married outside Canada with a Refugee travel Document, and include her in my PR application

As far as I know that would be faster than waiting for my PR to be accepted and then apply for sponsorship.

So i just wanted to have your comments on this and know if this is the best way to go or not

thanks for reading my case!

Last edited:

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi guys i hope you can give me your opinion about my particular case

I am currently a Protected Person i left my girlfriend in my home country (Venezuela) due to my situation. We have been in a relationship for about 4 years, i have been in Canada one year. My girlfriend applied for a visitor Visa and as expected it was denied. I applied for my PR in March this year 2018. So I was thinking if it is possible to get married outside Canada with a Refugee travel Document, and include her in my PR application

As far as I know that would be faster than waiting for my PR to be accepted and then apply for sponsorship.

So i just wanted to have your comments on this and know if this is the best way to go or not

thanks for reading my case!
As far as I know that if you have been together for more than a year then she is considered to be your common law partner. I hope other senior members can confirm whether it was possible for you to add her as a dependent in your initial application for permanent residence. Please also check this link for the definition of common law. All the best!

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
Thanks for your reply. And yes i am aware that if we have been together for a year i could apply as common law partners but the problem is that since i came to Canada i never said to authorities that i have a common law partner because we lived together for several months in Venezuela but there was always a period of time that she wasn't home so i thought that they won't accept that as common law partner.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply. And yes i am aware that if we have been together for a year i could apply as common law partners but the problem is that since i came to Canada i never said to authorities that i have a common law partner because we lived together for several months in Venezuela but there was always a period of time that she wasn't home so i thought that they won't accept that as common law partner.
Common-law requires one year of continuous cohabitation, so if you don't have that, you are not common-law.