+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage of non-Muslim woman with a Muslim man

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Have to back Bryanna on this one. As a non Muslim married to Muslim from Indonesia (and the laws are nearly identical), it’s is pointless to try and obtain legal married status in an inter faith marriage. Having lived in Indonesia and Malaysia, even those married legally outside of those countries can not gain legal status as a married couple if not of the same faith (and in fact it difficult for even Shia and Sunny to enter marriage). And that’s in the moderate regions of those countries. In the Sharia dominated regions like Aech, inter faith would result in a public caning. So no, it’s not a viable option, despite what the law may or may not allow.

Reactions: Bryanna

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
T
This is not true again. For example, consider Roman Catholics. If one person is a Roman Catholic, whereas the other person is a non-Catholic then they cannot have a full religious Catholic marriage ceremony. This is because marriage is a Holy Sacrament. I know of some cases where special permission was taken from the Vatican to have the ceremony in the Church.
I married a Catholic (I am not christian). I had it in a Catholic Church and the ceremony was done by a Catholic priest. True, it was not a full mass ceremony but it was a Catholic marriage ceremony of some sort. No special permission was needed as far as I know. The only thing I had to do was agree to take a pre-cana course and that was it.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I married a Catholic (I am not christian). I had it in a Catholic Church and the ceremony was done by a Catholic priest. True, it was not a full mass ceremony but it was a Catholic marriage ceremony of some sort.
Although it was partly a Christian/Catholic marriage, it was non-sacramental because it was a marriage between a baptized Catholic and a non-baptized person. Full Catholic marriage ceremonies (where marriage is a Holy Sacrament) is possible only between two baptized Catholics.

No special permission was needed as far as I know. The only thing I had to do was agree to take a pre-cana course and that was it.
The pre-Cana or Marriage Preparation course is a requirement for anyone intending to marry in a Catholic Church, regardless of him/her being Catholics

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Although it was partly a Christian/Catholic marriage, it was non-sacramental because it was a marriage between a baptized Catholic and a non-baptized person. Full Catholic marriage ceremonies (where marriage is a Holy Sacrament) is possible only between two baptized Catholics.
I realize that it is not a "full" marriage in a Catholic sense. But in regards to legality, it is recognized as a legit marriage by the US (where we got married) and also by IRCC

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I think you`ve been misled. There is no law against marrying a muslim if you`re of another religion.
In Canada, that is true.

However, most Muslim countries that have declared Islam as the state religion will derive their laws from Sharia law. Such laws prohibit interfaith marriages unless the other person converts to Islam. Even if a predominantly Muslim country like Malaysia has a non-religious legal system, Sharia law and courts would often be applied to the Muslim citizen when it comes to non-criminal issues like family and religious observances.

RuthMarshall

Dec 9, 2020
I think you`ve been misled. There is no law against marrying a muslim if you`re of another religion. But if you want to be on the safe side, then of course you can have the marriage arranged in Canada, so you can be sure of a happy ending. Actually, it's a little strange that you chose to convert to christianity and marry a muslim... Muslim traditions are strong and you`ll still need to join them. For example - holidays, parenting (if you plan it) clothing, btw for clothing I can advise abayas online uk. So think carefully.