+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage of Convenience???

Canadian12

Sep 21, 2011
I am a Canadian citizen. I’m going to have an arranged marriage (Family customs) and my parents have checked everything I mean guy’s references and his activities and all. But the only thing which puts us in doubt is that he doesn’t have permanent status here and one of his reasons to get married is to get legal status in Canada. I am very scared if that would be the only reason for him to marry me. I know no one can tell that but I have heard that immigration and citizenship rules have been tightened. I just want to know if after he gets his permanent status, ditches me, can I do anything to make him fail in his plan? Or is there anything that immigration officers keep checking if the marriage is real if it is then for how long they keep check?
Thanks in Advance :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian12 said:
I am a Canadian citizen. I'm going to have an arranged marriage (Family customs) and my parents have checked everything I mean guy's references and his activities and all. But the only thing which puts us in doubt is that he doesn't have permanent status here and one of his reasons to get married is to get legal status in Canada. I am very scared if that would be the only reason for him to marry me. I know no one can tell that but I have heard that immigration and citizenship rules have been tightened. I just want to know if after he gets his permanent status, ditches me, can I do anything to make him fail in his plan? Or is there anything that immigration officers keep checking if the marriage is real if it is then for how long they keep check?
Thanks in Advance :)
Once he lands and has permanent resident status, you will be responsible for him for three years - Nothing will get you out of that contractual arrangement.
If he walks away from you (as soon as he lands or later) and claims welfare, you will have to pay.
Being on welfare is not a good experience, but if he wanted to remain on welfare for the full three years you could be looking at costs in the region of $19,000 - $25,000.

IMO, it seems that you are not convinced of his real reason for marriage; maybe you and your parents should reconsider this union.
It could be an expensive mistake.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can actually walk away from you and you literally cant do anything and as Baloo said he could be a liability for you. As a matter of fact we should have a campaign, BE CANADIAN, STAY CANADIAN, MARRY CANADIAN. By this I mean marry someone who is Canadian citizen but their ancentry is either Indian, Pakistani, Dutch, German, Chinese etc. This has several advantages, firstly you dont have to go through the headache of sponsoring him, secondly the element of guilt will be less considering he is Canadian and he dosent have much to gain out of this relationship (mind you there has been stories where men get married to Canadian citizens and the family later on comes to know he already had a wife and kids back home). Sure there is no gurantee in marriage but I am sure it will be more painful to know not only has he decided to leave you but he also used you to come here completly free. Thirdly, the families can interact more closely if he lives in Canada and is Canadian citizen, imagine travelling half way across the world to see inlaws that could be an expensive affair. The list can go on.

Here is a link you might find useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BMAIueUB-o

Canadian12

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for your reply. Actually everything is so good about him that I don’t wanna lose him :( . He has been living here for 3 years, making good money and we have checked his references. The only thing as I said is his temporary status in Canada. I have seen people ditching others just for PR. I am not saying he would ditch me for sure, he may be sincere with me but I am just looking for security so that I could feel satisfied with my decision.
would I be responsible to support him financially even if he is here and earning good money? I thought it’s only for those who sponsor somebody from other country?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You would be responsible for him if he losses his job.

Canadian12 said:
Thanks for your reply. Actually everything is so good about him that I don't wanna lose him :( . He has been living here for 3 years, making good money and we have checked his references. The only thing as I said is his temporary status in Canada. I have seen people ditching others just for PR. I am not saying he would ditch me for sure, he may be sincere with me but I am just looking for security so that I could feel satisfied with my decision.
would I be responsible to support him financially even if he is here and earning good money? I thought it's only for those who sponsor somebody from other country?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian12 said:
Thanks for your reply. Actually everything is so good about him that I don't wanna lose him :( . He has been living here for 3 years, making good money and we have checked his references. The only thing as I said is his temporary status in Canada. I have seen people ditching others just for PR. I am not saying he would ditch me for sure, he may be sincere with me but I am just looking for security so that I could feel satisfied with my decision.
would I be responsible to support him financially even if he is here and earning good money? I thought it's only for those who sponsor somebody from other country?
You (and everyone actually) should read the detail in the sponsorship agreement.

Like I said, it appears that you have some doubt regarding PR and his intentions.
If you need "security" then you may want to reconsider.
Of course if you are 100% happy with the situation, go ahead.

IMO being 99% certain about a partner, is not good enough.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Canadian12 said:
Being responsible for him financially means only that if he goes on welfare, or makes any other "withdrawal" from government social programs, you would have to pay that money back to the government. It doesn't mean that you must support his Ferrari habit. :)

Baloo said he would not marry someone about whom he was not 100% sure. I am less idealistic: there is no way one can be 100% certain about another, or else divorce rates would not be so high. Almost everyone starts a relationship with high hopes, hopes that they think are well founded at the beginning. More than 60% are wrong in the end, and divorce.

Unless two people are equally matched in every way in a beginning relationship (which is almost impossible), inevitably one partner stands to benefit more than the other from the union. Does that mean that the beneficiary is out for profit and not for love? It does not.

But how to know with as much certainty as possible? Put him to a test. One option: Ask him if he would be willing to spend the first five years in his country, instead of Canada. If he is simply hunting for a visa, he will refuse.

Of course, he has a job in Canada and so moving to his country for five years might not be practical. So ask him to put up a bond equal to your potential financial liability for the three years following receipt of permanent residence. That at least protects you if you should separate.

Does this sound suspicious and unromantic? You bet, and that's why so few marriages have prenuptial agreements -- to the dismay of the 60% that end in divorce. But perhaps there are women's groups that could suggest a more subtle way to get this done. Subtlety is not one of my strong points.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Toby,
my comment "being 99% certain about a partner, is not good enough" was trying to indicate, if I had doubts, I would not do it.

I didn't mean I was (or will be) 100% right :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Baloo said:
Toby,
my comment "being 99% certain about a partner, is not good enough" was trying to indicate, if I had doubts, I would not do it.

I didn't mean I was (or will be) 100% right :)
Right you are, Baloo. I was using your 99% comment as a starting point for one of my favourite rants -- that romantic relationships are lotteries.

But doubts are normal -- any thinking person admits the possibility that all will not work out perfectly. Having a plan if the possibility becomes reality may seem unromantic at the outset, but smart if the worst should occur.

In this case the poster has one particular concern: is her partner marrying her for the visa, and only the visa? So, test the partner's motives by proposing a life without the benefit of the visa -- i.e. living outside Canada.

If this is not practicable, because the partner's job is in Canada for example, then at least get his/her guarantee that there will be no financial repercussions if the marriage were to fail. How to do this subtly is the issue.

By the way, is the conditional visa yet a law?

MAKY

Sep 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
Nomination.....
09-03-2010
AOR Received.
11-11-2010
Med's Request
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
11-11-2011
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
12-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2012
LANDED..........
11-11-2012
@canada 12 if you have any doubt abot this guys pls there is no need going into marriage with him....it wount be worth it at the end of the day...most importantly commit all ur plans to GOD and he will sort u out.cheers

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
By the way, is the conditional visa yet a law?
That will take another 25 years, just to get an idea of pace in which things are done here it took the government 15 years to decide to extend the Yonge\Spadina subway line. That means its party time for people wanting to come here through marriage of convenience. Interestingly enough it took less than 24 hours for premier of Ontario to pass a law to arrest people during the G20 summit

masterchief

Sep 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, i was looking again the forum :)
and saw this topic
heheeh
in my case, i got a canadian girl waiting for me, of course we didnt have planned yet any marriage or something. For me is hard to think in leaving my home country eheheh but for love...well me or her need to move, and she dont want to move out of Canada...so...it's me ^^
Im my country we also got that problem, about the conveninence marriages so people can get the status of european and travel along europe freely...and it's a thing that is dificult to stop.

Ok...back on this topic, i think like i read here somewhere...if you got doubts you should ask a lawyer and prepare something to protect you monetarily! Love is Love...but if you're not sure...better protect (in my case if my girl ask for that i would make a deposit, i dont know...where maybe we could only allow i dont know... me and her, and maybe two more persons are allowed to get access on that money, her parents and mines... i dont want her to have doubts about my feelings)

poison_enna64

Oct 5, 2011
Wow! Got this site because i wanted to clarify what marriage for convenience really mean, and this forum showed up... Sorry to hear such things... ---sighed--- i hope my ex-boyfriend whom i met thru internet didn't thought these kinds of things that i might leave him when i get into Canada, because i might really feel bad tho i will understand, because bad people is everywhere and we just have to be smart to recognized them... I really love him, tho i didnt know how it happen, but i do love him for the little span of time that we've been together... these kind of stuff in immigration and embassy made it hard for those person who has a clean intention... its somewhat unfair... that those people with honest and clean intention got really affected and sometime unluckily they are the one who didnt had a chance to get a visa,sponsorship and etc... Well, I'm Proud to say i'm a Filipina who love my Ex-Canadian Boyfriend and for some reason that we cant forced that get the things worst he decided to just broke up with me... But I still want to go wherever He will go... Because I only wanna be with him... Unluckily I didnt got my visa in South Korea where he is working right now, another reason he decided just to live our own life separately...