+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage length

Alejandro123

Jan 26, 2019
Hello everyone, my name is Alejandro Jaramillo and I'm going through a student visa process with my wife, we just got married two months ago and it was a civil marriage, is there any problem if we apply for my students visa and her dependent visa so soon after getting married? The thing is that I got accepted for June intake and I have my acceptance letter already, so we don't want to wait any longer, we are from Colombia by the way We will really appreciate any help or advice l

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hello everyone, my name is Alejandro Jaramillo and I'm going through a student visa process with my wife, we just got married two months ago and it was a civil marriage, is there any problem if we apply for my students visa and her dependent visa so soon after getting married? The thing is that I got accepted for June intake and I have my acceptance letter already, so we don't want to wait any longer, we are from Colombia by the way We will really appreciate any help or advice l
There is no rule about having to be married for X number of years before applying for spouse open work permit. However do note that the spouse open work permit is not a Garunteed visa for International students due to past abuse of this type of visa.

If you were living together and you have proof of such relationship like having both names on a lease then it will improve your chances. Worst case you will have to first move to Canada and then bring your wife later.

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
There is no rule about having to be married for X number of years before applying for spouse open work permit. However do note that the spouse open work permit is not a Garunteed visa for International students due to past abuse of this type of visa.

If you were living together and you have proof of such relationship like having both names on a lease then it will improve your chances. Worst case you will have to first move to Canada and then bring your wife later.
Hi Slevakk,
On your last sentence, do you think the chances of moving to Canada then bringing your spouse later will be higher? I have a similar situation to the poster. I'm not married yet but I will be about 2-3 months before leaving to do my Masters and hope to have my spouse with me. Do you think chances of us meeting in Canada are higher if I apply for a Visitor visa on his behalf when I am in Canada (as a spouse) or hypothetically if we did not get married and he came there on his own without my support?

Appreciate if you have answers. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your chances of obtaining a TRV or OWP for your spouse has to do with many things like type of degree (advanced degrees like masters and PhD have better chances) and whether you have the finances to support another person if nobody is employed in Canada. If you apply together it tends to slow down the study permit but you can apply from your home country.

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
Your chances of obtaining a TRV or OWP for your spouse has to do with many things like type of degree (advanced degrees like masters and PhD have better chances) and whether you have the finances to support another person if nobody is employed in Canada. If you apply together it tends to slow down the study permit but you can apply from your home country.
Thank you very much for the response.

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
Is it faster or more guaranteed (all other aspects taken into account) if i apply from home country? I’ve been a resident of another country for more than 16 years and my whole life is here. My spouse has more ties to our home country (properties etc) but I am the principal applicant....?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Is it faster or more guaranteed (all other aspects taken into account) if i apply from home country? I’ve been a resident of another country for more than 16 years and my whole life is here. My spouse has more ties to our home country (properties etc) but I am the principal applicant....?
If you have strong proofs of residence then it should not be an issue to apply from there. Do note if the nature of your visa is temporary ( some countries like Saudi and UAE don't give permanent residence ) then it will go against you and then you will need to have some good ties to your home country.