+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage in Morocco

jennontheroad

Nov 21, 2009
I am a Canadian woman, I plan on marrying a Moroccan man in Morocco, then sponsoring him for a permanent resident visa.
My question is:
I am pregnant with his child, I will have the baby in Canada, get the baby all its Canadian papers, then we will go to Morocco to visit my partner.
Will it be a problem to marry in Morocco given that we will already have a child, which is essentially a child born "out of wedlock"?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If there are any Moroccans here they might know, but you are probably best off checking with the Moroccan authorities. Your future husband should be able to find out easily since he is there.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
have you considered to marry in some other country?

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sorry to inform you that moroccan authorities must do a medical check on you. they check following. BLOOD TEST for HIV/STDs and Pregnancy. they also check to see if you are virgin or not. and most importantly they want to make sure you did NOT have pre-marital sex with this moroccan boy u want to marry.

zoro_n1

Feb 25, 2010
There is no prob getting married in morocco.
The Moroccan law allows marriage between Moroccans (men and women) and foreigners (Muslim /Christian/Jew IMPOSSIBLE if you belong to something else).

Yes you will have to do a blood test, your husband to be as well, but being not virgin is not a prob (they will not ask you why where etc..its your life), the purpose of the medical test is to know both of you the truth about the other, HIV, Hepatitis, virginity ...etc

however, there is one thing you should ask about: normally in morocco, there is a religious part of the weeding, which is the first step conducted by laadoul (= equivalent to the priest in a church), where laadoul deliver a certificate (stating all the rights/benefits/compensation in case of divorce) that the bride will have, then this certificate is submited to a judge for approval (the judge looks more to details like your age in case you are a teenager, about your contentment, satisfaction ...etc).
The question I can't answer is: in case you are not Muslim, you have to check if you have to skip the first part or not ?

in normal circumstance: laadoul step takes about 1 or 2 hours and the judge step needs about 3 to 4 days.

if you have prob with your marriage, contact Aicha Ech-Channa (she is the head of a famous association in morocco defending the right of single mothers, I think she will be happy to help you)