+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage however not living together when in Canada.

Nikopol

Apr 21, 2010
Hello All,

Currently i have been in Canada for 2 years on a Working Holiday Visa. Initially moved here for my Girlfriend who i have been with for 3 years now. However it is about to run out and we would like to continue staying together, and am very open to Marriage. However we do not live together as she goes to college [Oakville, Ontario] to study, and i have to live in the inner city [Toronto] to work. Would this fall under suspicion of not being together or go forth in regards to a denial of sponsorship? We are both very much in love, however apart from a marriage due to our current living locales we don't have much other than word to prove it. She is a Canadian Citizen and i myself am from New Zealand, and our ages are very close [22 and 20].

Any information would be helpful.

peacekeeper

Star Member
Apr 28, 2008
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-29-2009
AOR Received.
02-01-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2009
Have some proof like Joint Bank account, pictures, any other thing under both names, it seems straignt forword case, go ahead

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

peacekeeper said:
Have some proof like Joint Bank account, pictures, any other thing under both names, it seems straignt forword case, go ahead
Married, both in Canada, not living together? It is a deal breaker.

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
If there is all that love why not just get married and live together either in toronto or Oakville and One of you do the commute. To get from point a to point b tops is 45- one hour By Go transit. You would be taking a chance by living apart as the distance isn't that great.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
As PMM alluded to, it's not enough to just be married. CIC expects you to be in a genuine continuing relationship, and substantially combine your affairs as is usually the case with spouses. If you're not cohabiting (living together) when you are able to, there's a very good likelihood CIC will not be satisfied your relationship is genuine.

I suggest reading over OP2 sections 5.26 and 5.35.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

You will need to get married before you can apply. My suggestion would be that you also move in together.