+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Fraud

Ahmad1111

Sep 19, 2022
Asalam Alaikum
Subject: Immigration Fraud
Hope everyone is close to be with their spouses soon. May Allah make this wait easier and overcome hurdles along the process for everyone.
I got married late 2020, no rukhsati. As soon as I got back I put the sponsorship file with in a month. We found this proposal through a match maker. The family seemed nice, educated, middle class and down to earth. Relatives were also involved. We had a big reception. We stayed in touch through whatsapp during the process completed in about 13 months. She showed less interest sometimes but whenever I complained she fixed the matter. There were red flags during and at the end of process but I ignored and forgave her. She landed in Canada and stayed about four weeks and asked for divorce. During her stay she didn't seem interested much and putting barriers in mating. I was understanding but not accepting. I gave her haq meher after a day and opened her bank account the first week. I did her winter shopping and set a date for Walima. Later I realized the reason for her staying was to settle down i.e. learning culture, shopping, her ids and collect some money. Because 2 days after walima she asked for divorce when she had enough money from salami and haq meher to get out on her own. She said it was a forced merriage by her parents and she didn't want to come here and she liked someone else. But she did everything happily, her marriage, photoshoots, honeymoons, outings, rukhsati, walima shoppings etc. When we asked to buy her ticket and go back to resolve with her parents she said she does not feel safe back home which I know it is not. After few days of jirga and convince with no success she left, sending me a message later that I raped her and supposed to be supporting her money wise because I signed the contract and give her divorce. What I understood is that she wanted to marry the other guy but at the same time she wanted immigration so she never tried to break the marriage, but the family was genuine. She pretended to be a high valued women the whole time but she turned out a big liar.
The reason I am sharing this experience is to make fellow sponsors aware of this scam possiblity. Before it used to be happening just from guys but now girls scamming too, and I got to know more cases like me. The families in Pakistan do not do rukhsati saying you may not sponsor the girl or it's not safe for the girl but remember you are in much vulnerable position in Canada and you are putting everything at risk i.e. property, finance and your social status. I hope Canada bring back the law when spouses had to live first to become PR. Good luck.

• Sad
Reactions: Kiikii

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
Thats terrible!! But an eye opener for many people. thanks for sharing. Hope you will battle it out and be safe.

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
Asalam Alaikum
Subject: Immigration Fraud
Hope everyone is close to be with their spouses soon. May Allah make this wait easier and overcome hurdles along the process for everyone.
I got married late 2020, no rukhsati. As soon as I got back I put the sponsorship file with in a month. We found this proposal through a match maker. The family seemed nice, educated, middle class and down to earth. Relatives were also involved. We had a big reception. We stayed in touch through whatsapp during the process completed in about 13 months. She showed less interest sometimes but whenever I complained she fixed the matter. There were red flags during and at the end of process but I ignored and forgave her. She landed in Canada and stayed about four weeks and asked for divorce. During her stay she didn't seem interested much and putting barriers in mating. I was understanding but not accepting. I gave her haq meher after a day and opened her bank account the first week. I did her winter shopping and set a date for Walima. Later I realized the reason for her staying was to settle down i.e. learning culture, shopping, her ids and collect some money. Because 2 days after walima she asked for divorce when she had enough money from salami and haq meher to get out on her own. She said it was a forced merriage by her parents and she didn't want to come here and she liked someone else. But she did everything happily, her marriage, photoshoots, honeymoons, outings, rukhsati, walima shoppings etc. When we asked to buy her ticket and go back to resolve with her parents she said she does not feel safe back home which I know it is not. After few days of jirga and convince with no success she left, sending me a message later that I raped her and supposed to be supporting her money wise because I signed the contract and give her divorce. What I understood is that she wanted to marry the other guy but at the same time she wanted immigration so she never tried to break the marriage, but the family was genuine. She pretended to be a high valued women the whole time but she turned out a big liar.
The reason I am sharing this experience is to make fellow sponsors aware of this scam possiblity. Before it used to be happening just from guys but now girls scamming too, and I got to know more cases like me. The families in Pakistan do not do rukhsati saying you may not sponsor the girl or it's not safe for the girl but remember you are in much vulnerable position in Canada and you are putting everything at risk i.e. property, finance and your social status. I hope Canada bring back the law when spouses had to live first to become PR. Good luck.
That is unfortunate and I feel sorry for you. As per the Spousal Sponsorship Agreement, you are indeed responsible for her financial needs for 3 years (from the day she lands in Canada). I am pretty sure you are aware of this.

If I may suggest and this is of course, my personal opinion.
Maybe you should hire a Marriage/Relationship Fraud Lawyer and look at your options. It might be easier and cheaper to pay the fee to the lawyer than supporting this individual for the next 3 years. Financial part is not even close to what you would be going through emotionally and mentally.

If your lawyer handles the case properly, IRCC may deport her and permanently ban her from entering Canada.

Last edited:

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
This is terrible. Thanks for sharing your story. So sorry to hear this. From what I understand, despite the fraud, you will still be financially responsible for her for 3 years. I suggest you consult with a lawyer and see what they recommend doing.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
You say..marriage fraud...I see a woman being exploited...very sad and yes you are responsible for alot of things finicially from IRCC and all the mental pain you caused this woman.

Curious_Man

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
You say..marriage fraud...I see a woman being exploited...very sad and yes you are responsible for alot of things finicially from IRCC and all the mental pain you caused this woman.
I have to admit. While it's only one side of the story described above, your take is certainly unique enough to raise some eyebrows.

Reactions: Buletruck

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
Usually I refrain on commenting on this but I have to because I have seen abuse being inflicted onto men by women. Couple of my friends have gone through the same. Kind individuals who were suffering quietly because in our society men are always considered to be wrong.

Being a woman doesn't mean you are automatically right. While I align with @Curious_Man that we only see 1 side of the story, I recommended to go with a lawyer because that is the only way to find the truth and make the responsible person held accountable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Usually I refrain on commenting on this but I have to because I have seen abuse being inflicted onto men by women. Couple of my friends have gone through the same. Kind individuals who were suffering quietly because in our society men are always considered to be wrong.

Being a woman doesn't mean you are automatically right. While I align with @Curious_Man that we only see 1 side of the story, I recommended to go with a lawyer because that is the only way to find the truth and make the responsible person held accountable.
Both men and women can be abusers. No debate on that. My comment was in response to the OP's situation in particular and not a commentary on whether or not women are automatically *right*.

Ahmad1111

Sep 19, 2022
That is unfortunate and I feel sorry for you. As per the Spousal Sponsorship Agreement, you are indeed responsible for her financial needs for 3 years (from the day she lands in Canada). I am pretty sure you are aware of this.

If I may suggest and this is of course, my personal opinion.
Maybe you should hire a Marriage/Relationship Fraud Lawyer and look at your options. It might be easier and cheaper to pay the fee to the lawyer than supporting this individual for the next 3 years. Financial part is not even close to what you would be going through emotionally and mentally.

If your lawyer handles the case properly, IRCC may deport her and permanently ban her from entering Canada.
Thank you for the nice words and advice. I was aware even before she came here. I have a house on my name. Thats why I need to make people aware to be vigilant when sponsoring someone because the stress I went through can't explain. I have done what was necessary. Hope for better.

Ahmad1111

Sep 19, 2022
I know it's one side of story, you can judge it however you like. But I wanted to share my story with as many people as I can so whoever is and will or their friends sponsoring someone know this is a possibility, and someone learn a lesson from my story.

Reactions: Ibtii10

GyanLula

Star Member
Jan 23, 2022
I know it's one side of story, you can judge it however you like. But I wanted to share my story with as many people as I can so whoever is and will or their friends sponsoring someone know this is a possibility, and someone learn a lesson from my story.

I know at least 4 people of Middle Eastern background to do this. It is bad enough when one does it, never mind 4+. I am sorry for what you went through. I hope you recover from this mess and find someone who cherishes and loves you for you and not because of Canada.

Reactions: Ibtii10

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Yep you have shared your side. I am glad she was able to escape exploitation and I am happy Canada is able to provide a way out for her and for women like her.