Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Pre Medical
Hi, I'm a Canadian Citizen and sponsoring my wife who lives in India.
My question is regarding the marriage certificate. Is it okay to apply for a marriage certificate in India from a city other than where the marriage happened(same state but different city)? I'm facing issues getting a marriage certificate from the city where the marriage took place, so I was thinking of applying it from a different city (where my wife used to stay before marriage)?

This is what is mentioned in the guide:
"For spousal sponsorships, make sure you include a valid marriage certificate or proof of registration of your marriage with your application (see checklist details). The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place."

muscletech

May 26, 2020
App. Filed.......
24-02-2020
AOR Received.
10-03-2020
In India, marriage registration can’t get done just anywhere. It can only be registered at the office of the Sub Divisional Magistrate, under whose locale the marriage occurred or where both the partners resided for somewhere around a half year before the marriage took place.

sameerverma

Star Member
Nov 11, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Pre Medical
In India, marriage registration can’t get done just anywhere. It can only be registered at the office of the Sub Divisional Magistrate, under whose locale the marriage occurred or where both the partners resided for somewhere around a half year before the marriage took place.
thanks a lot for your reply. In my case as I mentioned above I’m planning to register my marriage in a city where my wife used to live before marriage instead of registering it in city where traditional marriage actually took place. Will that be okay? Both cities are in same state but falls under different districts.

muscletech

May 26, 2020
App. Filed.......
24-02-2020
AOR Received.
10-03-2020
thanks a lot for your reply. In my case as I mentioned above I’m planning to register my marriage in a city where my wife used to live before marriage instead of registering it in city where traditional marriage actually took place. Will that be okay? Both cities are in same state but falls under different districts.
Again, marriage can only be registered at the office of the Sub Divisional Magistrate, under whose locale the marriage occurred.

You can not just go to any SDM office for marriage registration. They would simply deny to take your case.

There is a process. Every SDM has an area under him/her, and are only responsible for it.
While filling up the forms, you would need to mention Address & Pin Code where your marriage took place. Accordingly, need to visit the SDM office for that locality for your marriage registration.