+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate Request

mazu99

Apr 18, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I recently received a query from CIC to submit my marriage certificate after I received medical request. Unfortunately, I never bothered to get one as I had government issued marriage affidavit which I submitted along with my PR application. In the past, I used this document for obtaining my spouse passport & visa for different countries.

Now, I had submitted marriage evidence such as wedding photos, invitation card, spouse passport copies displaying my name as husband, US & Canadian visa which was issued based on my work permit as a part of my query response.

I am just curious If VO will have any consideration of these documents while reviewing my case or I still need to submit the marriage certificate.

Any response will be much appreciated.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I am pretty sure they will still need the certificate mate! Just provide them what they are asking for, or, clearly explain your situation, so it doesn't build up any confusions!

Best of luck,

rks0101

Oct 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mazu99 said:
Hello Everyone,

I recently received a query from CIC to submit my marriage certificate after I received medical request. Unfortunately, I never bothered to get one as I had government issued marriage affidavit which I submitted along with my PR application. In the past, I used this document for obtaining my spouse passport & visa for different countries.

Now, I had submitted marriage evidence such as wedding photos, invitation card, spouse passport copies displaying my name as husband, US & Canadian visa which was issued based on my work permit as a part of my query response.

I am just curious If VO will have any consideration of these documents while reviewing my case or I still need to submit the marriage certificate.

Any response will be much appreciated.
Hi Mazu,

Did you indicate that u were Married or Common-Law in the application?

It is always possible to get a Common Law Union form done (which shows the spousal relationship) and sent to CIC, if you were married for more than an year. But then if you had checked Married on the application, and if it not possible to get a marriage certificate (as it clear that CIC does not accept marriage affidavit), you may have to be clear that you did not try to misrepresent, and present a Common-Law-Union Certificate to show the spousal relationship.

In my view the only risk is of misrepresentation to be careful about.

Other persons in forum who had a personal similar case may pass you more first hand advise.

Best of lucks.

Cheers

mazu99

Apr 18, 2014
Hi RKS

Thanks for the response. In our case, we are married. We stated the same in the application. It's just that we did nt obtain the marriage certificate from government authority afterward.

Thanks !!

stayyoung2507

Sep 28, 2021
was it approved with the affidavit? I am into the same situation.
Hi RKS

Thanks for the response. In our case, we are married. We stated the same in the application. It's just that we did nt obtain the marriage certificate from government authority afterward.

Thanks !!