+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage certificate? Proof of intent?

JScribani

Jun 20, 2017
I currently have a couple of issues which are causing me enormous stress with my application!

I am a US citizen and my husband is a South African citizen. We are applying Outland from South Africa, where we reside and work (I am a dual citizen here and my husband is a permanent resident. Our passports are complicated!)

1. Marriage certificate. We have a copy of our marriage register, and a marriage certificate (the handwritten one they gave us on the day). We have been fighting with Home Affairs for 15 months to obtain a copy of our unabridged marriage certificate, and they still haven't given it to us. I have copies of the register, abridged certificate, applications for unabridged certificate, and pages of dated correspondence with Home Affairs. Do you think they will accept this? I honestly don't know if we're ever going to get our hands on that document, they are wholly incompetent, and potentially they are trying to bribe us. I wish I was joking.

2. How can you show proof of intent? My husband and I are both teachers; you can't apply for teaching jobs this far in advance. Our intention is to move to Canada within 6 months of receiving our PR; as soon as we get confirmation, we'll pack up and go. Even if we have to get other jobs once we get there, work in corporate or something, just so long as we can get out of this hellhole and move to Canada.
I've managed to obtain the following:
- emails from banks, explaining the process of opening a bank account with a Canadian bank once we arrive
- emails from estate agencies, explaining the details related to renting a flat and offering to assist us with renting one from afar
- a couple of emails from schools that we applied to for jobs (mainly explaining that it's too early for us to apply)
- several months' correspondence from an acquaintance explaining about the process of finding a teaching job, apartments, medical, etc
- a letter from a CA on her letterhead, advising us of the tax implications of moving to Canada
- an official quote from a travel agent for flights to Vancouver next year
- a letter from my husband's aunt in Toronto, stating that we can come stay with her if we get stuck with jobs once we're in Canada. We're trying to go to BC so it's a different province, but I'm hoping it helps.
Do you think this will be sufficient for intent? Any advice? I've been reading horror stories about people rejected for not having jobs, and now I've got a massive knot in my stomach.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there,

I just saw your question, I hope things are going ok and the knot is untying !

In any case, just about the marriage certificate, I understand the situation, all those papers that you have should be enough, you´ll have to write a full letter explaining everything and that should be ok.

For the general question, maybe you should ask this in another section of the forum, you´re not applying under Family Sponsorship right ? You are immigrating to Canada together from other countries, none of you has Candian Citizenship or Residency ?

JScribani

Jun 20, 2017
Hi there,

I just saw your question, I hope things are going ok and the knot is untying !

In any case, just about the marriage certificate, I understand the situation, all those papers that you have should be enough, you´ll have to write a full letter explaining everything and that should be ok.

For the general question, maybe you should ask this in another section of the forum, you´re not applying under Family Sponsorship right ? You are immigrating to Canada together from other countries, none of you has Candian Citizenship or Residency ?
Thank you for your response!

Incorrect, we are applying under Spousal Sponsorship. My husband is a Canadian citizen, and I am a USA citizen. We both grew up in South Africa, however; that's why my husband doesn't have a job background in Canada.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi, there,

Well, the information wasn´t very clear, since you said he is a S. Africa Citizen and you didn´t mention either of you being Canadian residents or citizens.

JScribani

Jun 20, 2017
Oh goodness, you're absolutely correct, that was a typo and I didn't even see it!

Clarification: I have dual citizenship with USA and South Africa. My husband is a Canadian citizen, and South African permanent resident. We were both born in N. America but grew up in South Africa.

Sorry for making such a silly mistake; my fingers must have been on autopilot! Thanks for pointing it out! I wish I could edit that post and fix it.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there,

That´s all right !

So for your question #2: From what I read of other similiar cases and what I've read, you basically have to prove that you´ll have some kind of means in Canada to support yourselves so that you will not ask for social assistance. The situation with his aunt is a huge advantage because she can guarantee that she will support you both once in Canada until you get jobs here. THis way it should be ok.

I understand the situation and how stressful it can be but you don´t have to panick at all; him being Canadian means you could even pack tomorrow and come to Canada, you would be a visitor, and once here you apply the next day. You should get first Police certificates from South Africa and see if you can solve the marriage certificate thing; but in any case if you did your best, it should be ok with the papers you have and you could validate your marriage here if necessary.

Well hope it helps, and you know there´s some immigration lawyers that would give you like a short first interview on the phone fo free, so that could be very useful.

Let us know if we can help you any further

JScribani

Jun 20, 2017
Unfortunately, we don't think that coming to Canada and then applying Outland could be an option for us, because I won't qualify for medical care. I'm a diabetic, so I can't just arrive and not have medical for more than a year. That's why we're going this route and attempting to obtain my PR before we leave South Africa, because then I believe it's only a 3 month gap between landing and medical cover? And that is more manageable.

We've hired a company here to obtain the marriage certificate, so hopefully that will come through. I'm not sure that the letter from the aunt will work because she is in Ontario and we're heading to BC. This is too stressful.

We're in the process of opening an account with RBC and moving across some of our currency now, to start building ourselves a cushion there before our currency depreciates further.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
The bank account is a very good idea.

The aunt thing it´s still valid, don´t discard it, even if it´s different provinces.

If you apply Inland, that is from within Canada, you can apply for an Work Permit at the same time, it takes around 3 months, and then you can have medical care, it takes another 3 months to get activated but in the meantime you can pay a private insurance. YOu can have med care once you get a job, but you can start looking for one as soon as you arrive.

I understand what you say, I´m just telling you these options in case you want to leave soon :)